VEAP is available if you elected to make contributions from your military pay to participate in this education benefit program. The government matches your contributions on a 2-for-1 basis.
You must meet the following requirements to qualify:
- Entered service for the first time between January 1, 1977, and June 30, 1985
- Opened a contribution account before April 1, 1987
- Voluntarily contributed from $25 to $2,700
- Completed your first period of service and were discharged or released from service under conditions other than dishonorable.
- If you are currently on active duty and wish to receive VEAP benefits, you must have at least three months of contributions available.
Education Benefits under the Veterans Education Assistance Program (VEAP)
Payment is sent directly to the student from VA. Payments are usually sent the first day of the month following the start of courses. The benefit rate varies with the amount of the Serviceperson’s contribution while on active duty.