Tips on Critical Thinking from the Jandrisevits Learning Center
Analyze what you read
- Use the SQ3R strategy: Survey, Question, Read, Review, Reflect
- Consider the author's purpose point of view, and underlying assumptions
- Evaluate the author's logic, evidence, and conclusions
- Make connections: apply your new knowledge to other situations
Reinforce Your knowledge
- Test yourself on key words and concepts
- Evaluate the author's conclusions using relevant criteria and standards
Build Your meta-cognition skills
- Consider the learning objectives of every reading and writing assignment: what's the takeaway for you as a student?
- How does each assignment teach you to think differently?
- How does each assignment help you learn better?
Cultivate a critical mindset
- Pursue every opportunity to learn—new knowledge teaches you to think more effectively
- Treat mistakes and challenges as opportunities, not setbacks
- Be positive! Believe in yourself!
Need help with an assignment? Make an appointment at the Jandrisevits Learning Center!