Mission and Vision Statement
Sacred Heart University, rooted in the Catholic intellectual tradition and the liberal arts, embraces a vision for social justice and educates students in mind, body and spirit to prepare them personally and professionally to make a difference in the global community.
Sacred Heart University aspires to achieve prominence through innovative teaching and learning while cultivating a campus community that is recognized as caring and creative.
The core values of Sacred Heart University are its guiding principles. They define what the University stands for and are, therefore, of intrinsic value to the University community.
Flowing from the long tradition of Catholic universities, the University's core values are the following:
- Preservation, transmission and development of the Catholic intellectual and liberal arts traditions.
- Commitment to excellence in all that we do.
- Pursuit of truth and knowledge as intrinsically valuable through teaching and scholarship.
- Promotion of the common good of society.
- Recognition of the dignity and worth of every human being.
These core values guide the University's operating practices, business strategies and cultural norms. Sacred Heart University is committed to these values for the long term.
A Living Tradition
Beginning with our founding by the Most Reverend Walter W. Curtis as the first university to be led and staffed by lay people, the Sacred Heart community has demonstrated a pioneering spirit and commitment to growth and innovation. Bishop Curtis founded the university while participating in the Second Vatican Council (1962-65). This Council would launch the Church and its mission into the twenty-first century.
The vision discovered at the Council inspired Curtis and continues to inspire and challenge the SHU community. This vision has created a culture at SHU that is characterized by:
- Challenging students to think critically, analyze carefully, evaluate with a sense of justice and proportion, and convey
conclusions in an intelligible and articulate fashion.
- Providing the environment in which its students can develop the aesthetic dimension of life by nurturing their abilities to imagine, create and appreciate.
- Assisting students to acquire some rich understanding of their own cultural and family heritages so as to assume their responsibilities as conveyors of culture and family.
- Instilling a responsibility to share our resources for the betterment of the human community, especially through service to others, especially the poor.
We cherish the tradition and charisma that has been entrusted to us. We are committed to continuing this vision with a pioneering spirit that makes Sacred Heart University a leading Catholic university in the United States.