One of 244 Catholic colleges and universities in the United States, Sacred Heart University believes in a personalized process in evaluating students for admissions. At SHU, we encourage you to start the application process in the fall of your senior year of high school to ensure you have enough time to complete all the documents. The Admissions Office at SHU utilizes the Common Application and also requires high school transcripts and a letter of recommendation. Environment and student life compatibility are always important considerations when considering any university, and Catholic colleges are no exception – that is why a campus visit and interview are strongly encouraged for all applicants and are required for Early Decision candidates.
Below, you will find more specific information about important dates and deadlines for the application process.
Sacred Heart University reviews applications on a rolling admissions basis but also offers the following options:
- Early Decision is an option for freshmen applicants who have determined that Sacred Heart is their definite first choice. Students who wish to apply Early Decision must submit their application along with supporting materials, test scores and letter of recommendation by December 1.
- SHU also offers Early Action, a flexible option which allows students to learn of their admission decision earlier than regular applicants without a commitment to enroll. The deadline for Early Action is December 15.
- Students who apply Regular Decision are strongly encouraged to submit their application as early as possible and no later than our priority deadline of February 15.
Sacred Heart University encourages international students to submit their completed undergraduate admissions application before November 1 for January entrance and April 1 for September entrance. Applications received after this date will be considered; however, it is in the student’s best interest to allow extra time if an F-1 student visa and campus housing are needed.
A completed international undergraduate admissions application must include: Common App OR online application, $50 USD fee, official scholastic records from all secondary schools and universities previously attended (with World Education Service credential report if transfer credit is desired, one letter of recommendation, test result of English proficiency (TOEFL, IELTS or SAT), copy of passport, and official bank statement signed by bank official within six months of enrollment date.
Students who are admitted and accept Sacred Heart University’s offer of admission must submit their non-refundable enrollment deposit by May 1: $1,500 (for residential students) or $500 (for commuter students.)
All deposits are applied as credit to the first semester charges on your student account. (For residents, $1,350 is applied to tuition charges, and $150 is applied to housing charges.)
Please keep in mind Sacred Heart University has the right to withdraw its offer for admission for the following reasons: Any part of the admissions application contains misrepresentations; you do not complete the requirements for high school graduation by the end of the current school year; there is a significant decline in your academic profile during your senior year; you submit a deposit to more than one institution.
Financial Assistance Deadlines
Our Office of Student Financial Assistance is committed to assisting students and families throughout the financial aid process. Students who wish to apply for financial assistance need to complete two distinct forms: College Scholarship Service (CSS) Profile to determine eligibility for institutional grants and scholarships and other private sources of financial assistance, and Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to determine your eligibility for federal and state financial assistance.
- To complete the CSS Profile, visit http://www.collegeboard.com and enter the school code #3780. This profile will also be available as of October 1, and should be submitted by December 1 for Early Decision applicants, December 15 for Early Action applicants and February 15 for Regular Decision applicants.
- To complete the FAFSA application, visit http://www.fafsa.ed.gov and enter the school code #001403. This profile will also be available as of October 1, and should be submitted by December 1 for Early Decision applicants, December 15 for Early Action applicants and February 15 for Regular Decision applicants.
Note: International applicants do NOT fill out the CSS Profile and FAFSA. They will be considered automatically for merit aid.