Locating Your Federal Loans

Keeping track of your student loans can sometimes be difficult. Many students have multiple loans that may be serviced by different companies, or even owned by different lenders. Knowing who to contact is crucial for successful repayment. 

Where do I find information regarding my loans?

Students can access their loan history using the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS). NSLDS is the U.S. Department of Education’s central database for student aid. NSLDS provides a centralized, integrated view of Title IV loans and grants. NSLDS information is tracked from approval through payment in full. 

Another helpful resource is the National Student Clearinghouse Loan Locator ©

Important note: Federal Perkins Loans are made through the University. The University acts as a lender and the loan is made with federal funds. You may contact the University regarding your Perkins Loan and/or can access this information through NSLDS.

What is a FSA ID?

The FSA ID has replaced the Federal Student Aid PIN as the credential with which students, parents, and borrowers authenticate their identity to access their federal student aid information online and electronically sign Federal Student Aid documents. You will need a FSA ID to access the following government services: NSLDS.gov, FAFSA.gov, StudentLoans.gov and StudentAid.ed.gov.    

If you do not already have an FSA ID, you can create one here.

What information is available through NSLDS?

NSLDS contains financial aid history related to Federal Stafford and Direct Loans, Federal PLUS Loans, Federal Perkins and Consolidation Loans, as well as Federal Pell Grant information. Through NSLDS, students can find contact information for their lender, servicer and guarantor as well as their outstanding loan amount and loan status. 

Important note: NSLDS does not contain information regarding private loans. 

How do I resolve a student loan problem? 

If you think your NSLDS information is incorrect, you should first contact your lender and/or your loan servicer. The Office of Student Financial Assistance is also available to assist you. The Federal Student Aid Ombudsman of the Department of Education helps resolve disputes related to federal student loans.