2017-2018 Verification

NEW: Beginning with the 2017-18 FAFSA, families are required to report income information from the prior-prior tax year. For example, on the 2017-18 FAFSA, students (and parents, as appropriate) must report their 2015 income information, rather than that of 2016.

If your FAFSA is selected for federal verification you must submit additional documents (located on SHUAwards > Menu > My Documents) to our office: a verification worksheet and 2015 IRS Income Verification (along with 2015 W2's for non-tax-filers only).

Tax Filer Income Verification Directions

Please note that the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (DRT) is temporarily unavailable.


The most efficient way to verify income is by using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool within your FAFSA application. If the student/parent has not already used the tool, then please follow the directions below (IRS Data Retrieval is currently not available at this time).

If you did not use the IRS Data Retrieval tool, all tax filers must submit a:

  • 2015 IRS Tax Return Transcript OR
  • 2015 IRS Tax Return – Signed (1040, 1040A, 1040EZ) 

For families with special circumstances, such as filing tax extensions (Form 4868), victims of identity theft, amended tax return filers (1040X), or IRA Rollovers and Pension Rollovers with IRS DRT, please see the section below on special circumstances.

You can send us a signed copy of your 2015 IRS Tax Return (10140, 1040A, 1040 EZ) or obtain a 2015 Tax Return Transcript by using one of the following:

  • Online Request: Follow this link and choose Get Transcript Online or Get Transcript by Mail
    • Be sure to request the Tax Return Transcript, NOT the Tax Account Transcript 
  • IRS2Go App: You may download the app at either of the following to request a transcript:
  • Telephone Request: Call 1-800-908-9946 to request a 2015 IRS Tax Return Transcript.

Special Circumstances Directions


Tax Extension

  • Form 4868 that was filed with the IRS for the tax year
  • Copy of the IRS approval of the extension beyond the 6-month extension (if applicable)
  • 2015 W-2 Form(s) or if self-employed, a signed statement certifying the 2015 AGI and Income Tax Paid
  • Verification of Non-filing Letter (confirmation that the tax return has not yet been filed) from the IRS or other relevant tax authority dated on or after October 1, 2016. NEW REQUIREMENT in 2017-18 
      • Online Request: Follow this link and choose Get Transcript Online or Get Transcript by Mail. Be sure to request the "Verification of Non-filing Letter" for Tax Year 2015. 
      • IRS2Go App: download the app at the following to request a transcript of IRS Verification of Non-filing Letter
      • Telephone Request: Call 1-800-908-9946 to request an IRS Verification of Non-filing Letter and then enter "2015".
      • Paper Request Form: IRS Form 4506T-EZ or IRS Form 4506-T

Identity Theft

  • Tax Return Database View (TRDV) Transcript obtained from the IRS by calling 1-800-908-4490
  • Statement signed and dated by the tax filer indicating that they were victims of IRS tax-related identity theft and that the IRS has been made of aware of the tax-related identity theft.

Amended Returns

  • IRS Form 1040X (signed)
  • IRS Tax Return Transcript that includes information from the original OR any other IRS Transcript that includes all income and tax information from the original tax return or an IRS Tax Return - Signed (1040, 1040A, 1040EZ).

Foreign Tax Returns/Puerto Rico, Northern Mariana Islands, Guam, American Samoa, or U.S. Virgin Islands Tax Returns

  • Transcript from relevant taxing authority listing tax account information for the tax year, if transcript can be obtained at no cost. Otherwise, a copy of tax return filed with taxing authority.

IRA Rollers and Pension Rollovers with IRS DRT

The IRS DRT does not exclude tax return IRA and/or Pension Distribution Rollovers from untaxed income. This means the IRS DRT will include an IRA and/or Pension Distribution Rollover in your untaxed income on the FAFSA. This may result in a higher Expected Family Contribution (EFC) and decrease in your financial need. Do not attempt to correct the information yourself. By changing any of the tax data, you compromise the data transferred from the IRS. Provide the following to if you do have an Untaxed IRA and/or Pension Rollover:

  • A written notice/request for correction to your FAFSA Untaxed IRA and/or Pension Rollover;
  • A copy of Page 1 of your Federal 2015 IRS Federal Income Tax Return;
  • A copy of IRS Form 1099-R for all IRA or Pension distributions.

 Non-Tax-Filer Income Verification Directions

Submit copies of all 2015 W2s or equivalent

Individuals who submit W-2s that total a gross income that equals or exceeds the IRS tax filing threshold must file an income tax return before the student is eligible to receive Title IV aid. These Individuals may have to then request a Social Security Number, an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number, or an Employer Identification Number.

2017 - 2018 Verification Documents

If selected for verification, please submit the form that applies to you. If you are unsure, the appropriate form is available on SHUAwards > Menu > My Documents. 

2017 - 2018 Additional Verification Documents