FAQ’s on General Financial Aid Information

FAQs on General Financial Aid Information

  • Complete forms accurately and submit them by the appropriate deadline dates.
  • Do not submit false or misleading information. 
  • Understand, accept responsibility for, and keep copies of all signed agreements.
  • Participate in entrance and exit counseling when required.
  • Report any changes in your address, income estimates, registration, or housing status.
  • Notify us of any financial assistance you are receiving from an outside source.
  • Be aware of the University’s withdrawal and refund procedures.
  • If accepting a work-study award, perform work that is agreed upon.
  • Notify your lender when you graduate or drop below half-time status.
  • Maintain satisfactory academic progress according to the University policy.

To be considered for financial assistance at Sacred Heart University, each year the student must meet the following requirements:

  • All students must complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Please contact the Office of Student Financial Assistance for deadlines.
  • Additional verification and documentation may be required according to individual circumstances. This may include a signed copy of Federal Income Tax returns, schedules, and W-2s for both the parents and the student. Other forms are issued by the Office of Student Financial Assistance and must be completed and returned promptly.
  • Must be maintaining satisfactory academic progress.
  • Must be registered for the next semester as a full-time student.

Upon the receipt of the required documents, the office will re-evaluate each student for aid. Based on the information provided on the required forms and the availability of university, federal and state funds, an award package will be sent.

The Estimated Family Contribution (EFC) is the amount of money a family is expected to contribute toward the cost of attendance. This number is derived from the information that parents and students provide on the CSS Profile and the FAFSA.

The basic need calculation is as follows: Cost of Attendance – EFC = Need

For federal aid, the government utilizes the information your family supplies on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to determine eligibility. 

For state aid, different states have different requirements. Check with your State Department of Higher Education. In Connecticut, there is the CICSG (Connecticut Independent College Student Grant) program, which provides grants to state residents who attend a private university in state.

For institutional aid, Sacred Heart will use the information you supply on the FAFSA, CSS Profile, and Noncustodial Parent PROFILE (if applicable), to determine eligibility.