Martire Business & Communications Center
At Sacred Heart University, we take a comprehensive approach to business education. Our learning environment promotes building business knowledge, critical thinking skills and professional development. We are also committed to serving the ever-changing needs of our students as we prepare them for careers in a market place where the technology is constantly evolving.
Our new Frank and Marisa Martire Business & Communications Center is designed to provide students with top-notch facilities and the latest technologies, so they can master everything from business fundamentals to trading room skills and accounting basics to global savvy. Ultimately, our goal is to help our students build a resume that attracts top employers from around the world.
The WCOB Finance Center provides firsthand exposure to financial concepts such as trading, portfolio construction, corporate finance concepts, and risk management. This is in keeping with our mission to extend the educational goals of Welch College of Business through innovative classroom pedagogy, cutting-edge financial research, and real-world applications.
The mission is translated into three broad strategies:
- To integrate the WCOB Financial Center into our graduate and undergraduate curricula in an effort to enhance student learning, professional development, and success;
- To create a positive, collegial, and collaborative environment that is supportive of faculty and student research activities;
- To strengthen external relations with the finance and investment management community.
The facility comprises four major components:
- The main trading lab;
- Adjacent finance classrooms, which is used as an overflow facility;
- Breakout rooms which are used by students for team assignments;
- Executive Conference room for meetings.
In terms of hardware, the WCOB Financial Center is equipped with:
- The main trading lab with 32 workstations for students;
- Each equipt with a dual 21" flat panel display to facilitate viewing more information simultaneously,
- Each with a gigabit Ethernet connection
- A T-1 internet connection
- Each workstation is equipped with real-time data and the leading financial technologies.
- 13 Bloomberg terminals and access to First Call provide real-time financial information including securities quotes, fundamentals, sector and index analysis and technical analysis,
- Three 60" LCD screens;
- “Rise LCD Wallboard Display” ticker tapes displaying market information, news headlines, and real-time data from the NASDAQ and the NYSE;
- 1 “Enterasys Matrix” switch provides network connectivity to the floor;
- 10 “IBM” High Capacity servers provide file and application serving, as well as R&D support and simultaneous data warehousing.
- Thomson-Reuters DataStream
- Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis FRED
- S&P Capital IQ
- Chicago Mercantile Exchange Group data
- CompuStat/Research Insight
- Portfolio Analytics
- Morning Star
Key journals to the entire program:
- Journal of Financial Economics
- Journal of Money, Credit and Banking
- Journal of Banking and Finance
- Journal of Corporate Finance
- Journal of Financial Intermediation
- Journal of Financial Markets
- Journal of Financial Research
- Journal of Empirical Finance
- Journal of Accounting and Economics
- Other journals will be required in individual courses
- Mat Lab
- Palisales Software - @ Risk