Join the Future of Finance with a Master of Science in Finance & Investment Management
"A cutting edge program that combines powerful quantitative techniques and analytical finance for sharper business insights."
In our data-driven world, traditional thinking isn't enough. Finance has evolved, and the discipline—especially investment management—places greater emphasis on quantitative techniques for asset valuation, product development and risk management. The next generation of financial professionals will require advanced technical training.
Bring your expertise to the next level with a Master of Science in Finance and Investment Management degree from Sacred Heart University. The changing financial landscape—both in terms of innovation and increased regulation—has created a demand for candidates who are well versed in the latest thinking in investment theory, mathematics, statistics and data-intensive analysis, and have strong written and verbal communication skills.
Take a closer look at the finance & investment management degree
Going beyond a traditional MBA program, the MSFIM at Sacred Heart features advanced quantitative techniques, enhanced financial theory and cutting-edge practical applications.
The MSFIM at Sacred Heart is a program unlike any other, it’s:
- In Depth. From investment theory to risk management best practices, the MSFIM program gives you a comprehensive understanding of the dynamic financial landscape.
- Flexible. With its wide range of foundational and elective courses, the MSFIM degree can be customized to meet your specific career goals.
- Current: Our problem-based learning approach means that you’ll not only learn how to solve today’s financial problems, but also anticipate tomorrow’s issues.
- Actionable. With an MSFIM degree in hand, you’ll be ready for a career in investment analysis, wealth management or portfolio management, and you’ll be prepared to pursue a CFA designation.
A finance program designed for you
The world moves quickly, and we know that you don’t just want a degree—you want to acquire the skills you need to make an impact on the finance industry. Our program integrates financial theory, investment analysis and the tools of quantitative analysis. In the MSFIM you’ll develop client solutions to investment and risk management issues.
The MSFIM program will launch in fall 2015 at our Fairfield, Conn. campus and operate on a trimester schedule. Students taking nine credits each trimester will complete the program in 1.5 calendar years. Every student within the program will be issued an iPad or equivalent device preloaded with key course content and software.
Today’s global workplace is infused with technology. MSFIM students gain hands-on experience in our new trading lab which exposes them to the software, hardware and additional applications used by all financial managers.
Graduate Students in the MSFIM Program will:
- Acquire an advanced understanding of investment management theory
- Master valuation, portfolio management and risk management techniques
- Learn how to develop client solutions to investment and risk management issues through case studies, internships, problem-based learning experiences and extensive interaction with practitioners
- Be prepared to sit for the rigorous Chartered Financial Analyst® examination and to obtain the Financial Risk Management certification
Conveniently located close to NYC
Classes will be held in Fairfield, Connecticut, in the heart of one of the largest hedge fund communities in the United States. Our ideal location, 60 minutes outside of New York City’s financial district, will successfully position students around business leaders, countless investment banks and leading multinational corporations. MSFIM students are constantly exposed to several of the world’s leading executives to broaden and deepen their learning experiences through guest lectures and site visits.
Seven Faculty Members Awarded Tenure
June 2, 2015
FAIRFIELD, Conn. – Sacred Heart University’s faculty was celebrated recently at the University’s annual Faculty Reception. During the ceremony, University Provost Laura Niesen de Abruna announced that seven faculty members have been awarded tenure by the Board of Trustees. They are Kwamie Dunbar of Oxford, Anna Greer of Bridgeport, Dawn Melzer of Trumbull, Heather Miller-Kuhanek of Southington, Patrick Morris of Norwalk, Christopher Kelly of Hamden and Mary Treschitta of Fairfield.
Business Students Provide Economic Outlook for State of Connecticut
May 28, 2015
FAIRFIELD, Conn. – A group of 16 students from Sacred Heart University’s Jack Welch College of Business spent their spring semester working on an economic outlook for the state of Connecticut for 2015-2017. This is an annual project for the students in Professor Lucjan T. Orlowski’s economic and financial forecasting class.
Goldman Sachs COO Cohn Speaks at New Finance Center Opening
May 6, 2015
FAIRFIELD, Conn. – On the heels of a visit from former General Electric Company Chairman & CEO Jack Welch and his wife, Suzy, Gary Cohn, the president and COO of investment banking and securities firm Goldman Sachs, stopped by for a “fireside chat” at Sacred Heart University, late Tuesday afternoon, April 28. Cohn’s visit coincided with the celebration of the opening of the new Finance Center, located in the University’s new Frank and Marisa Martire Business & Communications Center. More than 100 business students, faculty and SHU administrators gathered for the presentation.