Academic Advising Process

Fall 2017

How does academic advising work for freshmen?

Students work with an academic advisor in the SHU College in which they are interested in studying. Advisors guide students on curriculum planning and other academic issues. Advisors are committed to assisting each student with all aspects of their transition to college while remaining an essential resource for academic related matters.

Class of 2021 First Year Advising Sessions

When do students declare their major? Are double majors allowed?

Students may declare a major upon enrollment or elect to remain undecided within a particular SHU college. Students are required to declare a major by the spring semester of the sophomore year. You may choose to double-major at SHU and will be guided through the process by your academic advisor.

What if I am undecided about my major?

The Career Development and Placement Center offers the Major in Success (MIS) program which assists students in making the right choices about majors and careers by increasing their understanding of how their unique talents, interests, values and skills match with a variety of careers and corresponding academic programs. This highly effective, structured program is open to all undergraduates, particularly catering to the needs of first- and second-year students. MIS is implemented over the course of several weeks through individual and group career coaching, which also includes the use of assessment inventories.