West Building: 3rd Floor, Section E
3135 Easton Turnpike
Fairfield, CT 06828
Earn Connecticut Educator Certification
The Farrington College of Education’s graduate program leads to certification in Elementary Education (grades 1-6) or Secondary Education (grades 7-12; Biology, Chemistry, English, General Science, Mathematics, Social Studies/ History and Spanish).
Through the program, you will:
- Join one of the largest private teacher preparation programs in Connecticut
- Gain the most up-to-date teaching methods
- Learn from instructors with real-world, public-school experience
- Apply your knowledge in elementary and secondary school environments with diverse student populations
Masters Degree Completion
SHU's Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) degree may be completed in unison with the graduate teacher certification program. Upon completion of the graduate curriculum for teacher certification, a graduate student may expect to complete an additional 12 credits to earn the MAT degree.
- Successful completion of a Connecticut state-approved teacher preparation program
- Passing scores on the Praxis II test: subject area for secondary and elementary subjects for elementary. A passing score on the CT Foundations of Reading Exam is also required for elementary certification.
- A bachelor’s degree, with a GPA of 2.67 or higher for admission to a teacher preparation program
- If you wish to transfer your certification to another state, find certification and licensure requirements on the department of education website for your state.
|Maine||Massachusetts||New Hampshire||New Jersey|
|New York||Rhode Island||Pennsylvania||Vermont|
Sacred Heart annually recommends about 300 students to the State Department of Education for teaching certification.
Bring your education to the classroom through the Graduate Teacher Internship Option
This year-long tuition-paid, full-time experience allows you to gain valuable skills while you work in a school environment, build professional relationships and apply your practice to course instruction.
Additional Program Benefits
- Inclusive curriculum's designed to address the critical needs in our nation’s schools, with coursework that may be taken on a full-time or part-time basis
- Available Five-Year Program for undergraduates who wish to earn a Bachelor’s degree in an academic major, initial teaching certification, and a Master’s degree
- A Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) available to students currently seeking their teacher certification
- A Master of Education (M.Ed.) available for already certified teachers
- A sixth-year Certificate of Advanced Studies in Literacy degree program
- Engaged faculty who help educators hone their teaching skills
- Leadership programs that prepare successful school administrators
- Two International Studies programs that allow students to explore education in global contexts
Prepare to teach in today’s complex learning environments. Apply for your Teacher Certification in Elementary or Secondary Education today.
Pre-fall Programs Prepare Sacred Heart Freshmen for School Year
September 20, 2018
Sacred Heart University offered eight programs to incoming freshmen prior to the start of the academic year to familiarize them with their peers, school and community. The week-long programs provided the students with life-changing experiences before they even sat down for their first class. The Office of Volunteer Programs & Service Learning (VPSL), the School of Communication, Media & the Arts (SCMA), the Theatre Arts Program, the Jack Welch College of Business, the Student Success Center, the Dance Program, the College of Health Professions and the College of Nursing all presented programs.
The Color Of Time with Abe Markman
September 19, 2018
The Diversity Committee of the Isabelle Farrington College of Education Along with the Mathematics Department at Sacred Heart University Cordially invites you to The Color Of Time with Abe Markman on October 15, 2018 from 5 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. at West Campus, 3rd Floor, Section M. Light Refreshments, Book Signing, and Q&A
Sacred Heart Appoints New Associate Dean to College of Education
September 19, 2018
Sacred Heart University has named Mel L. Horton the new associate dean of the Isabelle Farrington College of Education. She previously served as associate dean for the School of Education and Professional Studies at Central Connecticut State University in New Britain.