Student Concerns

Student Concerns

The faculty and staff of the Farrington College of Education are guided by fundamental principles of social justice, human dignity, and equity.  We strive for a high level of ethical values and professionalism in all activities.  To contest discriminatory treatment, or for student grade grievances and appeals, please consult the Academic Catalog.  To grieve or appeal a decision in clinical placement, consult the relevant student teaching or administrative internship handbook.  In some cases, for example student-to-student interactions, a situation may generate complaint for which no formal grievance process exists.  In such cases the complaint should be written and include details about the complaint and documented evidence and mailed to the appropriate Department Chair or Griswold Program Director: 

Department Chair or Program Director
Isabelle Farrington College of Education
Sacred Heart University
5151 Park Avenue
Fairfield, CT 06825 

Please include contact information so the College can reach you to resolve the complaint. 

The following outlines the process for handling a complaint against the Program: 

  • When possible, the Department Chair or Program Director will discuss the complaint directly with the party involved within one month.  The expectation is that the complaint can be satisfactorily resolved by this discussion.  The Department Chair or Program Director will provide a written description of the resolution to the complainant.

  • If dissatisfied with the outcome of the discussion with the Program Director, or if the complaint is against the Department Chair or Program Director, the complainant may submit a written complaint to the Dean, Farrington College of Education.  The Department Chair or Program Director will provide the Dean with a written summary of previous discussions where applicable. The Dean will discuss the matter with the Department Chair or Program Director and complainant separately and may schedule a joint appointment or conference call with the Department Chair or Program Director and complainant in attempt to reach a solution.  The Dean will provide the complainant and the Department Chair or Program Director with a written letter outlining the solution reached through this step.

  • If the complainant remains dissatisfied after step two, the last line of appeal is to the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs.

  • Any letters or documentation associated with the complaint will be maintained by the administrator for a period of five years.  

Public Comments Regarding Educator Preparation Accreditation 

The Farrington College is Education’s accreditor is the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP).  While our accreditor does not have a grievance or complaint procedure for educator candidates as part of accreditation and program review, there is opportunity for third-party comments.  Further information can be found here:

Public Comments or Complaints Against the Program Regarding Connecticut Office of Higher Education Accreditation

The Connecticut Office of Higher Education is responsible for quality review of independent colleges located in Connecticut. If you believe that the University or Farrington College of Education has not fulfilled its promises, you may file a complaint with the Office of Higher Education:

Office of Higher Education
450 Columbus Blvd, Ste 510
Hartford, CT 06103-1841

Public Comments or Complaints Against the Program Regarding Regional NECHE Accreditation

The New England Commission of Higher Education (NECHE) is the regional accrediting body for colleges and universities in New England. NECHE receives both public comments and complaints. Public Comments consist of observations about the quality of the University and its programs based on an individual’s experience. Comments must be substantive but need not include evidence and may be written or emailed. Complaints must be written, signed, and meet NECHE’s criteria for complaints. NECHE’s complaint criteria, procedures for filing complaints, and links may be found here: