The Thomas More Honors Program seeks bright, eager and dedicated students who are ready to capitalize on the unique resources and opportunities offered to them through the Program. Because there is a limited number of spots, admission into the Honors Program is very competitive and is based on the strength of the student’s academic record and accomplishments.
There are two ways to enter the Honors Program:
- as an incoming freshman
- as a rising sophomore currently at Sacred Heart or who is transferring to Sacred Heart
Admission into the Honors Program as an incoming freshman is by invitation, after a review of all applicants’ academic records. Each year students with the best academic profiles are chosen. The academic accomplishments of invited students has only increased. Below are the minimum criteria needed to be considered. Students identified as honors candidates are sent a letter in early Spring inviting them to the Honors Program. Students will have the opportunity to come to campus and meet current honors students and faculty on admitted student days and on special honors preview days. Acceptance of the honors invitation and acknowledgment of the student’s understanding of program requirements will be made at the time of formal acceptance to matriculate at Sacred Heart.
Minimum academic credentials:
- GPA of 3.8 or higher
- ranked in the top 10% of high school class
- SAT critical reading and math scores totaling 1200 or higher
- strength and rigor of high school curriculum
- extracurricular activities are also considered
Rising sophomores at Sacred Heart or transferring from other institutions can also be admitted to the Program, provided they are still able to complete the academic requirements of the Program by the time they graduate.
Application requirements include:
- Completed application
- Cumulative college GPA of 3.667 (B+) or higher after their first two semesters
- 400 word essay describing why the student desires entry into the program and what s/he can contribute to it
- Two recommendation letters from college faculty members who have had the student in their courses in the past year
- No more than 45 credits of college courses, including transferred courses, to allow completion of course requirements
If you have any further questions, complete our online inquiry form.
Alternatively, please contact Andrew Lazowski, Director of the Thomas More Honors Program at email@example.com. You may also schedule a meeting with the Director and Honors student representatives during one of our open houses or a scheduled visit to campus.
One of the greatest problems of our time is that many are schooled but few are educated. -Thomas More