Student Visas

Apply Now | Cost Calendar | Available Programs

Student Visas

The Intensive English Language Program is authorized to issue the I-20 Form that a student needs to obtain an F-1 student visa for full time study.

All students need to fill out and submit the following:

If you are transferring from another school:

Submit the completed forms with a copy of your passport to us either by email to the ESL Coordinator or by mail to Sacred Heart University, 5151 Park Avenue, Fairfield, CT 06825. Attn: ESL Coordinator, English Language Institute. All International Students are required to meet with the Coordinator in person or via Skype (esl.sacred.heart) prior to class registration. 

Once all forms are completed and paperwork is submitted to us, it will take approximately 4-6 weeks from the time of approval until visa approval.

According to the regulations of the United States government, students who attend university on a student visa, are required to be enrolled in the program full time. Full time is 18 hours in the semi-intensive program or 23 hours in the intensive program. Students who are attending university on a student visa are not permitted to work.

The English Language Institute is authorized under Federal Law to enroll nonimmigrant students. The English Language Institute can issue the necessary documents to apply for a student F1-Visa. However, a F1 Visa is not required to attend the ESL Program. Students may attend the program using a visitor visa.  

There will be a $80 admin fee for any I-20 that is issued and canceled. Please do not request an I-20 unless you are positive you need one to travel. Most students are able to travel on a B1/B2 Visitor visa. A F1 visa is not required to attend our program.

We accept students traveling on a B1/B2 Visitor Visa. Please DO NOT request an I-20 if you will not be applying for an F1 Visa. If you have questions regarding which Visa to use, please contact the ESL admissions coordinator at 203-365-7528.
For information regarding maintaining F-1 Visa Status, visit our Immigration and Support Services website.