SLP Credentialing

Licensure and Certification

There are three types of credentials available for SLPs in Connecticut. Students are strongly encouraged to complete requirements for all three credentials during their Master’s program.

ASHA Certification
National certification is available through the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA). This Certificate of Clinical Competence in Speech-Language Pathology (CCC-SLP) is obtained  following the awarding of a Master’s degree from an ASHA-accredited program, passing with a score >162 on the Praxis II Speech-Language Pathology Examination, and the completion of a Clinical Fellowhip (CF) of mentored professional employment.  Upon graduation, an application must be filed with ASHA to begin the process of certification. The last page of this application must be signed by the Program Director. For complete instructions, see

The application form for ASHA Certification is found at  

Connecticut Department of Public Health Licensure
In addition to the ASHA credential, practice in CT also requires a License in Speech-Language Pathology from the CT State Department of Health. Upon graduation, the student must submit an application along with requisite fee for CT  licensure and submit a transcript to the State Department of Public Health in order to be eligible to complete the Supervised Professional Experience (SPE is same thing as Clinical Fellowship [CF]; the two are completed simultaneously). The candidate will receive a letter from the CT State Dep’t. of Public Health once the application and transcript have been reviewed. (The ORIGINAL of letter needs to be submitted to the Conn. State Department of Education in order to obtain the Initial Educator Certificate).  Within six weeks of beginning employment,  the candidate must file a Supervised Professional Experience (SPE) plan with the Conn. Department of Public Health. Once the SPE is successfully completed, evidenced by submission of an SPE report after nine months of employment, the candidate becomes eligible for licensure.

CT Teaching Endorsement in Speech-Language Pathology
SLPs working in schools in CT must, in addition to obtaining a Master’s Degree from an ASHA-accredited program and Licensure from the Department of Health, obtain Initial Educator Teacher Certification from the Connecticut State Department of Education. This endorsement requires:

  • A Master’s Degree from an accredited SLP program;
  • CT State Licensure as an SLP;


  • The completion of 6 credits of professional education courses (recommended: Child Development, Education in the U.S.);
  • The completion of 3 credits of Education of Students with Exceptionalities;
  • The completion of student teaching as part of the Master’s Degree with 100 hours of supervised practice in a public school;
  • Documentation of passing the Praxis II Examination in Speech-Language Pathology with a grade >162;
  • Filing appropriate forms and paying all fees, prior to beginning work in a school setting.

At the end of their graduate program, students wishing to obtain CT Initial Educator Teacher Certification should complete the following steps:

The Service Endorsement, Speech and Language Pathologist code is 061.

Those who plan to teach in a state other than CT, must obtain and complete that state’s application. Information on neighboring states’ Departments of Education and certification  requirements can be found here.

  • Once the student's application is signed by the Certification Officer at the Farrington College of Education, it will be returned to the student. The student must then submit the signed application along with the letter from the Conn. Dep’t. of Public Health and their transcript and required fees and to the State Department of Education:

Bureau of Educator Standards and Certification
P.O. Box 150471 – Room 243
Hartford, CT 06115-0471

NB: All students are strongly urged to complete requirements for CT Teacher Endorsement, even if they do not immediately plan to work in CT schools. Students who decline to complete these requirements must sign a waiver form with the SLP Department, and submit it to the SLP office prior to graduation.

Once the candidate completes the Supervised Professional Experience (SPE), which is completed concurrently with the Clinical Fellowship (CF), paperwork for the SPE must be submitted to the Conn. State Department of Public Health to obtain licensure AND to ASHA to obtain the Certificate of Clinical Competence (CCC-SLP). Submit the Clinical Fellowship Report and Rating Form to:

Please remember for your ASHA CF:

  • If you change settings, supervisors, or the number of hours you work per week, please complete a separate CF Report and Rating Form for each change.
  • Professional experience of less than 5 hours per week cannot be used to meet the CF requirement.     
  • The total number of weeks and hours submitted must clearly show that the minimum requirement of 36 weeks, totaling an accumulation of 1,260 total hours, has been fulfilled.
  • A full-time CF consists of a minimum of 35 hours worked per week. 

The above information is summarized, with links for accessing the relevant instructions, below.  Those wishing to work as SLPs in schools outside the state of CT must investigate the requirements for the states in which they want to practice, as requirements for school SLP practice vary from state to state. Students who wish to transfer their certification to another state are advised to consult certification and licensure requirements in that state, as each state has its own certification procedures. Please consult the department of education website in your state or the ASHA Guide to Teacher Credentialing