Undergraduate Major

Contact UsContact Admissions Request InfoGet on our mailing list Visit SHUSchedule a Campus Visit Apply NowCreate your account

As of fall 2019, SHU will offer an undergraduate major in Communication Disorders. Only students entering SHU fall of 2019 or later can major in Communication Disorders. Students currently enrolled in the minor in SLP will continue in the minor concentration until their graduation. Requirements for the minor can be attained from the Registrar’s Office.

Curriculum | Why SHU? | Right for Me? | Declaring a Major | Facilities | Clubs

What will I study as a Communication Disorders major?

We'll cover the normal bases of speech, language, hearing and swallowing disorders. You’ll learn basic clinical methods and have the opportunity to observe practicing clinicians working with both child and adult clients with communication and swallowing disorders. The Communication Disorders major may be taken in conjunction with any minor, if the student wishes to have a minor concentration.

View Curriculum

Why should I choose Communication Disorders at SHU?

The Communication Disorders major curriculum employs case studies, problem-based learning approaches, cooperative learning, and laboratory experiences. Clinical education, designed to meet Council for Clinical Certification requirements of the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA) for 25 clock hours of supervised clinical observation, will consist of interactions with expert clinical supervisors working in field placements for all aspects of SLP practice. Students may also participate in speech, language, and hearing screening activities at community agencies. Sacred Heart University is one of the few universities, and the only one in Connecticut, that offers Communication Disorders, OT, PT and Education degrees. This creates the unique opportunity for students to work with colleagues in allied professions prior to graduation.

Is a major right for me?

A major in Communication Disorders, along with the listed foundational and recommended courses, will prepare you to enter any U.S. graduate program in either Speech-Language Pathology or Audiology. To enter this career, you must be a strong communicator and have a sincere interest in helping people who have significant communication challenges. Scientific aptitude, patience, emotional stability, tolerance and persistence are necessary, as well as resourcefulness and imagination. Other essential traits include a commitment to work cooperatively with others and the ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.

View career outlook 

When should I declare a major?

You can declare a major in Communication Disorders at the end of the freshman year. If you are a current SHU student and need advising, contact Dr. Jamie Marotto

What facilities are available to me?

Students majoring in Communication Disorders will be able to use the simulation laboratory, human anatomy laboratory and activities of daily living laboratory in the College of Health Professions.

What co-curricular activities are available?

Communication Disorders students are encouraged to join NSSLHA (National Student Speech Language Hearing Association) and CSHA (Connecticut Speech-Language-Hearing Association).

Get more information