Center for Healthcare Education
4000 Park Avenue
Bridgeport, CT 06604
Accepting Applications for Summer 2019
Sacred Heart University’s Athletic Training Program successfully completed their latest site visit, and was awarded ten years of re-accreditation (year = 2027). Our MSAT is the first accredited Master program in the state of Connecticut.
Be on the front lines of Athletic Care
Become an essential member of the sports medicine team. Get the hands-on training and classroom experience you need to evaluate, protect and care for athletes at all levels.
Do you want to be an Athletic Trainer?
Athletic Trainers help athletes in many different ways – from initial injury management, emergency care, evaluation of injuries, rehabilitation and return to play at peak performance, SHU MSAT is designed to take you the top of the field.
As the only MSAT offered in Connecticut, this program will give you the opportunity to:
- Experience real-world training through clinical rotations at Sacred Heart’s athletic training room, local universities, high schools and clinics
- Collaborate with physicians to provide preventative services, emergency care, clinical diagnosis, therapeutic intervention, and rehabilitation
- Study a progressive curriculum that puts athletic training concepts into action
- Prepare to sit for the Board of Certification national exam to become a Certified Athletic Trainer, and then be eligible to apply for licensure in all states
Choose a track that fits your professional game plan
The Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training Education (CAATE) requires all Athletic Training programs nationwide to move from a Bachelor’s to a Master’s degree by 2022. The M.S. in Athletic Training consists of five semesters for full-time students.
There are two track options:
- Traditional track: If you have a Bachelor’s degree (from Sacred Heart or another accredited university) and meet all prerequisite requirements, you can apply to the Master’s program.
- Accelerated track: Earn your Bachelor degree in Exercise Science in three years, followed by your Master’s degree in Athletic Training in two years.
Jumpstart a career with diverse opportunities
Certified Athletic Trainers are regularly employed in:
- Medical settings
- Orthopedic, family, pediatric, psychiatry and sports medicine practices
- Public, private and preparatory middle and high schools
- Private elementary schools
- Colleges and universities
- Professional sports
- Performing arts
- Public safety
Additional Program Benefits
- Clinical experiences enhance coursework during four of the five program semesters
- Evidence-based, progressive training teaches complete concepts within the confines of each course, rather than individual components on a course-by-course basis
- Experienced faculty with an impressive variety of backgrounds and specialties
- Meets the licensure requirements of all states
- The only Athletic Training graduate program offered in Connecticut
Experience big wins—on the field and off. Apply for your M.S. in Athletic Training today.