Complaints and Grievances

Grade Grievances or Academic Integrity Violation Appeals

Undergraduate student complaints regarding grades or academic integrity violations follow the policies outlined in the Undergraduate Catalog in the Academic Standards, Policies and Procedures section. 

Graduate student complaints regarding these areas are in the similar section in the Graduate Catalog

Formal Complaint Policy

Any other complaints or grievances that do not fit into the category of a Grade Grievance or Academic Integrity Violation appeal may be filed with the Arts and Sciences Dean’s office in the case that an individual has a conflict, or other concern with faculty, staff members, or programs in the College of Arts & Sciences. 

Before filing a Formal Complaint, the individual should first take steps to resolve the issue informally, either through contact with the appropriate faculty or staff member, or through the appropriate department chair. 

If a satisfactory solution is not reached by means above, the individual may then file a Formal Complaint. To do so, the individual must prepare a written document that outlines the nature of the complaint, including a summary of any supporting evidence. The document must also contain the individual’s name, address, and phone number. Once prepared, the document may then be turned in to the Arts and Sciences Dean’s Office in SC 124, or mailed to:

Formal Complaints
Dean’s Office, College of Arts & Sciences
Sacred Heart University
5151 Park Avenue
Fairfield, CT 06825 

The document and written supporting evidence will be reviewed and addressed by the Deans Office.  The process may involve meetings or calls with the individuals involved in the complaint separately or jointly in an attempt to reach a solution.  The Dean will provide the individuals involved in the complaint with a written letter outlining the solution reached through this step. 

If the complainant remains dissatisfied, the last line of complaint is to the Provost, who serves as the chief academic officer of Sacred Heart University. 

Any letters or documentation associated with the complaint will be kept in a folder marked “Formal Complaints CAS” for a period of five years.    

Public Comments or Complaints Against CAS Programs Regarding Regional NECHE Accreditation 

The New England Commission of Higher Education (NECHE) is the regional accrediting body for colleges and universities in New England. NECHE receives both public comments and complaints. Public Comments consist of observations about the quality of the University and its programs based on an individual’s experience. Comments must be substantive but need not include evidence and may be written or emailed. Complaints must be written, signed, and meet NECHE’s criteria for complaints. NECHE’s complaint criteria, procedures for filing complaints, and links may be found here:   

Public Comments or Complaints Against CAS Programs Regarding Connecticut Office of Higher Education Accreditation

The Connecticut Office of Higher Education is responsible for quality review of independent colleges located in Connecticut. If you believe that the University or the College of Arts & Sciences Program has not fulfilled its promises, you may file a complaint with the Office of Higher Education:

Office of Higher Education
450 Columbus Blvd, Ste 510
Hartford, CT 06103-1841