Academic Building, HC135
5151 Park Avenue
Fairfield, CT 06825
The Department of Philosophy, Theology and Religious Studies offers courses and programs of study that explore important and enduring questions of meaning—questions that human beings throughout the centuries and in every culture have asked. We propose that a student cannot call himself or herself educated without having wrestled honestly with these critical questions. Therefore, we invite you the student, who is studying at Sacred Heart University in order to receive a liberal education, not only to take your core courses in Philosophy, Theology and Religious Studies with an open and critical mind, but to take a look at our major, minor, concentration, and study abroad programs. Any of our faculty will be happy to talk to you about these opportunities.
Latest Department News
- New Britain Herald: Kathleen Welch, M.A. Religious Studies graduate, named Connecticut History Teacher of the Year 2014
- Flickr: Dr. June-Ann Greeley introduces the SHU Graduate Commencement Keynote speaker and Honorary Degree recipient, Sr. Kathleen Deignan ’71
- Flickr: Dr. Ken Knies serves students at the end-of-semester Late Night Breakfast
- Flickr: Congratulations to Dr. Brian Stiltner who is celebrating 15 years of service here at SHU
- Flickr: Photogallery from the Ethics Bowl
- Huffington Post: The Future of Higher Education: Rose Bowl or Ethics Bowl
- SHU Hosts Northeast Regional Ethics Bowl
- Professor Richard Grigg Publishes Eighth Book
- CNN: Are there dangers in being 'spiritual but not religious'?
Professor Greeley: We Need to Go Beyond Tolerance and Engage in Interfaith Dialogue
July 29, 2015
FAIRFIELD, Conn. – Sacred Heart University Professor June-Ann Greeley recently returned from a week-long seminar at Boston College that focused on ways of thinking about religion in the public square. Greeley was one of just 25 selected from around the country to participate in this groundbreaking seminar that was a collaboration of Boston College, the Council of Independent Colleges and the Interfaith Youth Council.
Students Study Abroad at Campus in Luxembourg
July 1, 2015
FAIRFIELD, Conn. – This summer, students had the opportunity to participate in an intensive study abroad program at the Sacred Heart University campus in Luxembourg City, Luxembourg. With an ideal location at the heart of Western Europe, it is a great place for students to be exposed to European culture. Luxembourg is the only Grand Duchy in the world and is the second smallest of the European Union member states, bordered by Belgium, France and Germany. Not only that, the city is surrounded by magnificent historical fortifications classified as a UNESCO World Heritage site.
Seven Faculty Members Awarded Tenure
June 2, 2015
FAIRFIELD, Conn. – Sacred Heart University’s faculty was celebrated recently at the University’s annual Faculty Reception. During the ceremony, University Provost Laura Niesen de Abruna announced that seven faculty members have been awarded tenure by the Board of Trustees. They are Kwamie Dunbar of Oxford, Anna Greer of Bridgeport, Dawn Melzer of Trumbull, Heather Miller-Kuhanek of Southington, Patrick Morris of Norwalk, Christopher Kelly of Hamden and Mary Treschitta of Fairfield.