AlcoholEdu for Parents will be available for your review July 29, 2013
Sending your child off to college for the first time is never an easy thing to do. In the next four years, your child will grow and change in large part based on personal interactions and the environment in which he or she is living. We recognize that the culture at Sacred Heart University will have a big impact on your child’s growth.
We take every part of the Sacred Heart University experience very seriously, and we have implemented a comprehensive prevention program to help our students – your children – make the safest, healthiest decisions possible.
One way we do that is through our partnership with EverFi, whose mission is to help students address critical life skills such as alcohol abuse prevention, financial literacy, digital citizenship, etc. in high schools and higher education institutions across the country. Each year over 1/2 million students complete AlcoholEdu for College - their online, non-opinionated, science-based alcohol abuse prevention course. This 2-3 hour program uses the latest prevention techniques and research to educate students about the impact of alcohol on the mind and body. Whether or not your child drinks alcohol, AlcoholEdu for College will empower your child to make well-informed decisions about alcohol and help him or her better cope with the drinking behavior of peers.
As part of our comprehensive alcohol prevention program, Sacred Heart Universitywill expect each member of the first-year class to complete this course. Whether you drink or not, AlcoholEdu will empower you to make well-informed decisions about alcohol and help you better cope with the drinking behavior of your peers.
Every incoming first-year student will be required to take AlcoholEdu for College and pass the course Exam. We will be communicating directly with your child regarding the information and instructions he/she needs to complete this course. To help ensure that your child meets this requirement, please remind your son or daughter that all students must complete Part 1 of the course by August 19th, 2013.
While we are committed to making a difference with our students, we also understand that parents are the first line of defense against alcohol misuse and abuse. That’s why we have made AlcoholEdu® for Parents available to you.
AlcoholEdu for Parents is an online program designed to support your conversations about alcohol that will help shape the decisions your child must make in college surrounding alcohol use.
The program includes:
- A brief introduction and suggestions on the best way to start conversations about alcohol (15 min).
- An overview of the AlcoholEdu for College course structure and key concepts (5 min).
- Direct access to AlcoholEdu for College, in an easy-to-use format that allows you to navigate freely from chapter to chapter (approx. 3 hours).
- Helpful resources, such as tips on talking to your college student about alcohol, fact sheets on alcohol’s effect on the brain, how alcohol impairs learning and memory, and more.
Please note: Your participation is optional. If you choose to review the course, instructions are attached. If you have taken AlcoholEdu for High School, we still encourage you to participate in this program, as it does address this stage of your student’s life.
We are confident that AlcoholEdu for College will help ensure your child’s success at Sacred Heart University and in the future. If you have any questions on the programming that we at Sacred Heart University offer, please feel free to contact Janice Kessler LCSW; Alcohol and Other Drug Intervention and Prevention specialist, 203-371-7955, firstname.lastname@example.org.
As the parent or guardian of an incoming Sacred Heart University student, we welcome your involvement in our educational alcohol prevention program. Your student is required to complete Part 1 of the AlcoholEDU for College course prior to arriving on campus. The goal of the program is to help students make informed decisions as they make the transition into college life. We encourage you to take the course as well, and talk with your student about what he or she has learned and how this information might be useful in the future. To take AlcoholEdu for Parents, you will need a computer with Internet access and audio capabilities.
To take the course, follow these steps:
- Go to: http://parents.alcoholedu.com
- Please review the minimum technical requirements available at the bottom of the AlcoholEdu for Parents login page
- Under New User, enter the Login ID: P130253PARENT (Do NOT share this Web site and Login ID with your child as he/she will not receive credit for course completion under this account)
- Click "Sign Up" and follow the on-screen prompts
- On the registration page you will create your personal AlcoholEdu account and a password of your choice.
- You may log in and out of the course at the end of each section. DO NOT log out until you click the "Next" button or your answers for that section will not be saved.
- When you return, log in as a Returning User and enter the same email address and password you created when you first logged into the course.
Enjoy the program and have a great conversation with your student!
Should you experience any difficulties or require support, the AlcoholEdu Online Technical Support Center is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Simply click on the “Technical Help” button located in the upper right-hand corner of every AlcoholEdu for Parents screen. You do not need to be logged into the course to access the Technical Support Center.