Conditions associated with the increased risk of suicide
- Death or illness of a loved one.
- Divorce, separation, broken relationship.
- Loss of a job, home, status, personal security.
- Alcohol or drug abuse.
Emotional or behavioral changes associated with suicide
- Overwhelming pain that threatens to exceed the person's coping skills.
- Sad, withdrawn, tired, apathetic, anxious, irritable or angry.
- Declining performance in school or work.
- Declining interest in sex, friends or fun.
- Change in sleeping and eating patterns.
- Neglect of personal welfare and deteriorating physical appearance.
- Social isolation or association with a group with different moral standards.
- Worthlessness, shame, guilt, self-hatred, fear of losing control or of harming oneself or others.
- Difficult times: holidays, anniversaries, diagnosis of a major illness, during disciplinary proceedings.