The operations and activities of an institution of higher education, such as Sacred Heart University, necessitate that the campus remain open with essential services available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Therefore, the University never fully closes or ceases operations. The default position in the event of inclement weather is that classes and all other activities will continue as scheduled, and cancellations or delays will be kept to an absolute minimum. Students, faculty and staff should plan in advance accordingly.
(No notice means...we are open!)
In the event of extraordinary inclement weather conditions that affect the normal operations of the University, the information regarding any schedule changes will be disseminated by one or more of the following methods:
- Recording on the SHU Info Line: 203-365-7669 or ext. 7669
- Posting on the University’s website
- Alerts sent through SHU EAS emergency alert system (text message, email and automated phone call)
- Notification through news media outlets News12 and www.ctweather.com, which feeds the following radio stations: WEBE108, WICC 600-AM, and KICKS 105.5.
Due to space or other limitations with voice recordings or electronic messages, the University’s website will contain the most complete and updated information. Every effort will be made to disseminate information by 6:00 AM if any morning classes or activities will be cancelled or delayed and by 2:00 PM if any late afternoon or evening classes or activities will be cancelled.
In order to receive SHU EAS alerts, please check and update as necessary your cell phone information on record. This can be done anytime via WebAdvisor. The SHU EAS system’s data is refreshed and updated daily.
Unless formally announced that University operations are officially cancelled or delayed, classes and all other activities will continue as scheduled and all offices are to remain open in accordance with their regular schedule.
Campus Operations personnel will prioritize their efforts and clear main roadways and main doorways on campus before attending to lesser used areas. Therefore, you are encouraged to use the main thoroughfares during bad weather whenever possible.
Lastly, helpful contacts for specific departmental activities or services in the event of inclement weather may be available directly at the following numbers:
- Athletics: 203-371-7917 (x7917)
- Bookstore: 203-365-4768 (x4768)
- Campus Ministry: 203-371-7840 (x7840)
- Library: 203-371-7700 (x7700)
- William H. Pitt Center: 203-365-7533 (ext. 7533)
Everyone is advised to use their own judgement for their personal safety.