Faculty and instructors can refer students to the JLC’s Writing Center for writing support at any time during the semester. However, the JLC encourages faculty to identify students in need of support early in the semester. Early referrals of students in need of writing support contributes to student retention, helps students achieve their academic and personal learning goals, and fosters lifelong learning.
How do I submit a referral?
- Use your SHU email. You will receive a copy of the referral.
- Submit the completed form (please complete the entire form)
- A JLC staff member will contact the student
Information for Faculty and Instructors
- When should faculty and instructors submit Writing Center referrals?
Faculty may refer students experiencing reading or writing-related challenges (difficulties with comprehension, critical reading, or assignments; poor quiz/exam performance; problems with mechanics, formatting and documentation, writing introductions and conclusions, using appropriate language) using the JLC's Writing Referral throughout the semester. Early intervention is recommended.
- What happens when students are referred to the Writing Center?
A JLC staff member will send an email to the student with the information about the referral and the Writing Center will explain how to schedule a 1:1 consultation with a writing specialist. The goal of each tutoring session is the student's improved understanding of the writing process and increased confidence in his or her ability to read critically and write effectively. The referring faculty member is informed about the student’s progress.
- What happens when students schedule appointments with Writing Center specialists?
Referred students meet one-on-one with a writing specialist and set up a regular meeting time to work on short-term assignments and to make progress on longer-term assignments. Referred students are also encouraged to discuss their ongoing academic progress with their course instructor.
- Will the student know who submitted their referral?
Yes, the student is informed which faculty member made the referral.
- Can the JLC’s staff speak at my department meeting?
Yes, if you are interested in having a representative of the JLC present or answer questions at your next department meeting please contact Ardiana Sula, Director of the JLC, at firstname.lastname@example.org.