The JLC’s Online Writing Lab (OWL) allows students to have their papers reviewed online as an alternative to a 1-on1 tutorial. A professional tutor will return the student’s paper with advice on argumentation, content development, organization, grammar, and punctuation. Assignments are returned in 24-48 hours.
Submission is easy! Simply download a copy of the OWL Submission Form to your desktop so that you can easily access it each time you submit a paper.
Be sure to include on the form your instructor’s assignment guidelines, instructions, rubric, or other information that will help the tutor give you valuable feedback. Also, provide the course name and number, the instructor’s name, and your name.
Attach the form with your paper and email it to JLC Online Writing Lab firstname.lastname@example.org. Use your last name and the submission date as the name of the file (e.g., smith_02_06_13).
What you can expect from the JLC’s OWL
The Online feedback
- will not correct the paper for you. Instead, the feedback will enable you to reflect and use the detailed comments to revise and improve your paper.
- will focus on your strengths: e.g., how well the paper fulfills the assignment criteria and grading rubric.
- will provide an analysis of and advice on format, content, argumentation (thesis development), organization and structure, sentence & paragraph structure, and syntax and style.
- will include models (examples) of effective sentences.
- will provide global suggestions on how to develop the paper.
Students may expect a prompt response within 24-48 hours.
What you should not expect from the JLC's OWL
- A complete rewriting of your paper.
- Copyediting: while the OWL tutor will help you recognize patterns of grammatical or punctuation errors, it is the student’s responsibility to use the tutor’s feedback in the revision and proofreading process.
Multiple drafts may be submitted, only if there is appreciable improvement between drafts.
Helpful tip: The OWL is a convenient alternative to, but not a substitution for, a session with a professional or peer tutor. Feel free to work on the same assignment in a 1-on-1 or group session. Call the JLC at 203-371-7820 or drop by and make an appointment!