Writing Tips from the Jandrisevits Learning Center
Read with a purpose
- Use the SQ3R strategy: Survey, Question, Read, Review, Reflect
- Highlight and take notes
Narrow your topic
- Find a specific aspect of the topic
Be an efficient researcher
- Use reliable sources—consult a research librarian for help
- Take good notes (author, title, page numbers, publication info, URL, date of access, quotes)
Draft and redraft!
- Free write, then redraft by focusing on the strongest ideas
- Write a working thesis—it doesn't have to be perfect!
Revise and organize:
- Write an outline
- Use topic sentences for each body paragraph
- Introduce and explain your evidence
Refine your thesis
- A good thesis is evidence-based
Write a purposeful intro and a knock 'em dead conclusion
- The intro explains what the essay shows
- The conclusion explains sums up the analysis
- Read your work aloud! It's the most effective way to proofread.
Need help with writing? Make an appointment at the Jandrisevits Learning Center!