Note-Taking Tips from the Jandrisevits Learning Center
- Start and date a new page for each class
- Write on one side of the paper and double space
- Number the pages
- Write key words in the margins
- Use symbols: ★ ≤ b/c v. esp ® ¯ \ ~ w/o w/in w/
- Use phrases, not complete sentences
- Use bullet points or outline form
- Pay attention to verbal cues such as "main point"; "The second reason that..."; "In other words,..."; "To sum up,..."
- Listen for repetition or emphasis
- Write down what's on the board or screen
- Don't transcribe every word: think before you write
- Be an active listener: don't tune out and don't get distracted
Use your notes to study!
- Keep notes in order and in one place
- Review regularly
- Turn notes into test questions
Need help with an assignment? Make an appointment with a tutor at the Jandrisevits Learning Center!