Course shells are open to instructors a few months before the start of the semester to give instructors a chance to build their courses ahead of time.
- All courses are created in an “unavailable” state.
- The term “unavailable” means that you can view the course and your students cannot.
- The unavailable state allows you to test and develop your course without disclosing incorrect or unwanted course content to your students.
- You have to make your Blackboard course available to students in the course. **Instructions below**
Make Your Course Available
By default, courses are set to unavailable to students which means that the students cannot access your course. It is up to instructors to make their course available to students. This can be done by following the steps below.
- Log into your course.
- Go to the Control Panel.
- Under Customization, click on Properties, then click "Yes" under Course Availability.
- All registered students will now have the ability to access your course.
Enrollments are updated every 24 hours via automated procedures. Students will have access to your Blackboard course approximately 24 hours after they have registered. Any issues with student enrollments should be brought up to the registrar.
Importing a Course from a Previous Archive/Export Zip File*
*The zip file is a Blackboard specific zip file
- Log into the Blackboard System.
- Locate and click on the course that you would like to place the zip file into
- Go to the Control Panel.
- Under Course Options module, click on “Import Package”
- Select the “Browse” button and locate the Blackboard zip file on your computer
- Click the open button
- Select all the check boxes (or just the ones you want)
- Select the Submit button.
- You will be redirected to a page that will read “This action has been successfully queued. An email will be sent when the process is complete”.
- Click the OK button.
The system will import the content. When the process is complete, the Instructor who initiated the operation receives an email. After the email is received:
- Repeat steps 1 though 3
- Review and make changes to your course content for the current semester.
Copying Materials from a Previous Course using Course Copy
All newly created Blackboard courses will be empty. If you wish to move material from a previous course into your current course, you can do so with the Course Copy tool.
- Log into Blackboard
- Enter the course that houses the material you wish to move
- Click on Packages and Utilities
- Click on Course Copy
- Browse for and Select the New Course
- Click Submit on the PopUp
- Select the Materials you wish to copy over
- Click Submit
Click here to learn how to course copy in detail.
Course staff including instructors who you’d like to give access to, lab coordinators, department heads, CLA’s, etc. can be added with the Manage Users tool on the control panel.