Sacred Heart University places high value on experiential learning – opportunities for students to apply their studies to outside organizations, making a more significant contribution.
Our students fully engage in internships in all fields, including business and finance, communications, government, graphic art, healthcare, information technology, sales, social services and the sciences. By instituting a SHU experiential learning program, employers:
- Meet immediate staffing needs for short-term projects
- Attract high-quality personnel at affordable rates
- Receive a continuous flow of motivated talent
- Observe potential employee performance before hiring
- Groom individuals personally for future full-time position(s)
- Develop their full-time staff through the mentoring, coaching, and supervising of student interns
- Increase employee retention rates (as employees hired post-internship typically stay longer)
- Reinforce visibility and reputation with SHU's large student population
- Create a positive relationship with Sacred Heart University – its faculty, staff and alumni
Internship wages and hours vary based on the needs of the employer and student. However, a for-credit academic internship commitment is typically 10-20 hours weekly (during the school year) or full-time (during the summer). Internship wages are determined in advance at the discretion of the employer.
The Career Development and Placement Center makes recruiting for internships seamless, including on-campus interview opportunities, career and internship fairs, and online job postings. Click on Recruiting at Sacred Heart for more detail. Even if your organization currently has no formal internship program, our staff can help you set up quickly – providing top-quality talent and proven coordination.
NOTE: Per the National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE) recommendations (NACE Hold Harmless Recommendations), Sacred Heart University does not sign Hold Harmless Agreements.