- Who may obtain a Bank of America VISA Purchasing Card?
Any University employee whose position requires them to routinely complete purchase requisitions and/or use PO’s for purchases, and are authorized by their supervisors to do so, are candidates to obtain a purchasing card.
- Can a Department have more than one Cardholder?
- Is this a debit card?
No. This card may not be used as a debit card, nor can it be used for cash advances.
- What is this card typically used for?
This card is most often used for small dollar purchases, amounts that are $1000 or less. Typical items include office supplies, dues/membership, subscriptions, and other miscellaneous supplies
- Who pays the bill?
Sacred Heart University receives a monthly statement for the previous month’s transactions and has 15 days to pay the statement. Cardholders will review transactions in Works on a regular and frequent basis to review and allocate transactions as they occur.
- What should be done with the Monthly Statements and receipts?
Cardholders are required to keep all of their statements and receipts, filed by month and then by fiscal year at their location. Cardholders may obtain their statements on line. The Business Office will collect statements and receipts at the time of an audit.
- What account number will be associated with my P-card?
The appropriate departmental default account number will be assigned to the card during the application process. The configuration will consist of the 2-digit Fund and the 5-digit Unit number. The 4-digit Object code will be provided by the cardholder or their manager during the transaction review process.
- Can the individual reviewing the transaction reallocate or change the default account number before the bill is paid?
Yes. Cardholders will have the ability to review each transaction in Works and update the object code to the one that most appropriately describes the item purchased. Additionally, those users that have access to more than one department number will have the ability to update the entire account number to the one most appropriate to the transaction.
- Can transactions be split among multiple account numbers?
Yes. Each transaction may be split multiple times, by dollar amount or by percentage.
- Who handles additions/deletions/changes to my P-card?
The P-card administrator in the Purchasing Department will handle any changes.
- What is the role of the Purchasing Department?
The Purchasing department’s involvement is limited to establishing policy and procedures and periodic verification that the purchasing card program is a controlled process and is not being used to circumvent established purchasing policies or is contrary to sound business practices. The P-card Administrator processes, maintains and administers the p-cards, the Works training application and reporting. The Business Office processes the monthly statements for payment and performs all cardholder post transaction audits.
- Why not simply use PO’s?
Use of the p-card not only simplifies the purchasing process, but it reduces total acquisition costs. Purchasing believes the use of the Sacred Heart University VISA p-card will provide our internal customers with greater flexibility, a simplified purchasing process and an overall reduction in acquisition costs.
- How do I use the card?
With the exception of certain limitations listed below, the VISA p-card functions just like any other credit card. When you present the card to a supplier, the supplier will usually request authorization through the credit card network. If the purchase falls within the card’s pre-established limits, you will receive the goods and be asked to sign for the purchase. At this time, you should receive a detailed receipt identifying the items purchased. Be sure to keep all receipts.
The Purchasing Card may be used to purchase goods in person at the supplier site, over the phone or Internet, via fax, or by mail. When placing your order:
- Identify yourself as a Sacred Heart University employee.
- Inform the supplier that you are using a Sacred Heart University Purchasing Card.
- Provide the tax exempt status and tax exempt number listed on the front of the card.
- Inform the supplier that they are not to send a bill or invoice to the ordering local unit or Accounts Payable.
- Provide cardholder name.
- Provide individual Purchasing Card number.
- Provide expiration date on the card.
- Provide delivery address including building and room number.
- Provide description of goods to be ordered and confirm prices.
- Confirm that the total order including shipping and handling does not exceed your single-purchase limit.
- Provide any other information necessary to make the purchase.
- Should I pay sales tax?
No. Sacred Heart University is tax exempt for goods and services. Many suppliers will require a CERT 119 tax exempt form. These forms may be obtained from Purchasing. When purchasing goods, inform the vendor that Sacred Heart University is exempt from Connecticut State Sales Tax. Sacred Heart University's tax exempt number is E-4283 and is preprinted on the front of your SHU P-Card. This number should be given to all vendors by the cardholder at the time of purchase.
A vendor doing business with the University for the first time may request a copy of the University's Connecticut tax exempt certificate. Departments purchasing goods from other states for use in that state should contact the Purchasing department to obtain the tax exempt form for that state. If sales tax is billed incorrectly to the cardholder's account, it is the responsibility of the cardholder to dispute the charge as outlined in the section "Disputing a Transaction."
- Can I use the P-card over the telephone?
Yes. The supplier will ask for your card number and card expiration date. They may also ask you for the 3-digit security number located on the back of the card. Please be sure you remind the supplier not to keep your credit card on file. Make sure to record your transaction in your Transaction Log. Instruct the supplier to provide you with a detailed receipt that shows what was purchased and the total amount. These records could prove valuable for future potential issues with suppliers, and must be kept with the Transaction Log for audit purposes.
- Do we have to pay for damaged or incorrect items etc?
If you receive a damaged or incorrect item, please call the supplier immediately and document the problem with the item. The supplier will typically replace the item or issue a credit. If the supplier will not cooperate, you may contact the P-card Administrator who will log a dispute with Bank of America. We do not have to pay these charges until such disputes are resolved.
- What limitations are placed on the card?
Standard p-card limits are as follows:
- Not to be used for travel and entertainment
- Not to be used for gasoline
- Not to be used for personal purchases
- Not to be used for 1099 reportable services
- Not to be used for cash advances
- Not to be used for capitalized items
Unique card restrictions or privileges may be provided on a per card basis as dictated by departmental need, and prior approval and authorization.
Yes. The application forms are available online