Our office coordinates student volunteer opportunities with urban food programs throughout the city of Bridgeport. SHU students staff local soup kitchens and food pantries helping with the distribution of food and learning about the issues of hunger faced by the urban poor. Most opportunities are open to students on a weekly basis. Students may sign up for these volunteer opportunities in our office.
Currently, our office partners with the following organizations:
- Bridgeport Rescue Mission Soup Kitchen
- Feel the Warmth Soup Kitchen
- Merton Center Soup Kitchen
- Eat Well Marketplace (formerly St. Stephen’s Food Pantry)
- Loves & Fishes at United Congregational Church
Two-day meal prep and distribution program. Food distributed to residents of the Marina Village community.
- CT Food Bank
Monthly Kid’s Backpack Program
Seasonal Food Drives
Holiday food drives are coordinated through our office. Student volunteers are able to sign up to distribute, organize, transport and collect food.