The Chapel is literally and figuratively at the center of both the University campus and its community of learners. The exquisite beauty of the Chapel of the Holy Spirit and its integrity must be maintained by the following rules and regulations. It is our duty to preserve its use for many years to come. Since the Chapel is not a parish church, there are guidelines governing the use of the Chapel by the Diocese of Bridgeport. The Diocese grants permission for the celebration of Marriage in the Chapel only to couples who have a relationship to Sacred Heart University.
In order to be eligible, at least one party must meet the following qualifications:
- Student currently enrolled at Sacred Heart University
- Alumni of the University
- Employee of Sacred Heart University
Children of current students, alumni, faculty and staff are not eligible for weddings in the Chapel
We regret that we are not able to extend the privilege of being married at Sacred Heart University to the general public.
Dates & Times
Weddings will be held during the summer months only (June 1 – August 1) on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays. Please be advised there are events that occur on campus year-round that may be taking place during the time of your wedding. The Campus Ministry office reserves the right to restrict dates as circumstances require. The officiating clergyman will take responsibility for the rehearsal. To avoid any conflict, the Campus Ministry office must be informed immediately of the time you wish to schedule the rehearsal. Any changes in an approved, scheduled ceremony or rehearsal must be made in writing to the Campus Ministry Office.
Unfortunately, because of the nature of student and academic activities, weddings cannot be scheduled during the academic year.
- Complete the Chapel Request Form. The form can be emailed to: email@example.com or mailed to: Alumni Relations 5151 Park Ave Fairfield, CT 06825-1000. Upon completion a member of Campus Ministry will contact the engaged couple.
- The couple is required to find their own officiating Clergy. The celebrant of the marriage ceremony must be a Catholic Priest/Deacon in good standing. The name of the officiant should be indicated on the Chapel request form.
- The Chapel guideline form will be sent to couples upon confirmation that their date is available. The guideline form must be signed and returned along with the chapel fee (below).
- A $1,000 dollar chapel fee (non-tax deductible) is required for use of the chapel and should be paid upon date confirmation and discussion with Campus Ministry. Additional costs apply for organist ($250).
Chapel reservations are tentative until the above items have been completed.
- Marriage documents must be submitted to Campus Ministry at least 6 months prior to ceremony date:
- Couples must participate in Marriage Preparation as required by the Diocese of Bridgeport and the Catholic Church. These classes are offered through local parishes or, can be completed at a location chosen by the couple. A certificate of completion must be provided to the Campus Ministry office.
- Official records of baptism.
- The visiting clergy is responsible for arranging, completing and filing the pre-matrimonial investigation (PMI).
- Marriage License: A wedding on campus requires a civil marriage license issued by the State of Connecticut. Please remember to bring the marriage license with you to the ceremony!