Liturgical ministry is an excellent opportunity to fulfill your baptismal call of service to one another. Our liturgies utilize the talents and gifts of the members of the Sacred Heart University community to the fullest extent. Whether participation is through “behind the scenes” preparation and planning or through a public role of service within the Mass, students help our liturgies to be truly life-giving celebrations. Please prayerfully consider joining one of these ministries.
- Altar Servers offer service to God and the community by assisting the priest during mass.
- Eucharistic Ministers are responsible for distributing the Body and Blood of Christ at Sunday masses.
- Lectors proclaim the Word of God during the Liturgy. A lector must have a passion for scripture; an ability to understand scripture; and, sufficient public speaking skills to proclaim the Word to the assembly.
- Sacristans work behind the scenes. They prepare the worship spaces for the celebration of the sacraments each week.
- Cross Bearers carry Christ on the cross in the procession of ministers at mass, leading the procession in and out of the congregation, always keeping the sign of salvation, the cross, as the focal point of the procession.
- Greeters welcome everyone into the chapel. They are often called upon to assist people with special needs, hand out "Campus Ministry News" and tidying the pews after Mass.
Training is provided for all positions.