Join other students that have a shared commitment to the pursuit of health and wellness. The SHU-WELL Living Learning Community (LLC) will provide you with opportunities to experience personal growth and explore issues related to physical, mental, spiritual and environmental wellbeing.
Participate in group discussions on topics like eating well, active living, academic adjustment, stress management, spiritual health and wellness in the local community, nation and the world.
Additional activities based upon the group’s interests may include group trips to the Pitt Center, hikes on local trails, yoga and meditation sessions, weekend community service projects, smoothie nights and monthly dinners.
Living with a group of freshman in the SHU-WELL LLC and participating together in hall and community health and wellness activities allows you to bond and create great memories! Research consistently demonstrates that the health and wellness habits that students develop in college create the foundation for life-long behaviors.
SHU-WELL supports and encourages balanced, healthy lifestyles for the diverse SHU community by fostering individual development through educational, recreational, and service programs. We are committed to enhancing individual potential, developing responsible citizenship, and fostering a lifelong commitment to learning skills associated with physical, mental, spiritual and environmental well-being.
SHU-WELL LLC Experience
- A shared commitment by students, staff and faculty to the development and practice of the pursuit of healthy living
- An environment supportive of academics that encourages and promotes the development and maintenance of a healthy body, mind and spirit
- Activities and services in the areas of: physical health and fitness, nutrition, spiritual wellness, mental wellness, academic support and community development
- An opportunity to explore your own practices and attitudes to develop your own personal plan for wellness
- Interaction with professionals trained in the areas of physical, mental, spiritual, and academic wellness
Type of Student
- There are a limited number of slots available for both males and females
- Open to first- and second-year undergraduate students
- All majors are welcome
- Good fit for students in health related academic programs, provides opportunity to connect their academic and personal interests together
- There is no pre-requisite course requirement for this learning community
How to Apply
The application period has ended. Students will be notified of decision on or around July 15, 2013. Students must be rising freshmen and meet all other criteria (have paid the housing deposit & submitted the general housing application). Students who are not selected for the program, will still be eligible for SHU housing.
Students can request a roommate but all residents of the LLC must also apply and be accepted in the program individually. Specific assignments are made by housing staff. Non-LLC students are not eligible to live in the SHU-WELL LLC designated rooms. Thus, your roommate must me a SHU-WELL LLC participant.
Health-Related Services at SHU
For more information on SHU-WELL LLC, contact:
|Kerry A. Milner, DNSc, RN
SHU-WELL LLC Instructor
Assistant Professor, Department of Nursing
|Anna E. Price, Ph.D., CHES, HFS
SHU-WELL LLC Instructor
Assistant Professor, Exercise Science Program
For more information on housing, contact:
Director of Residential Life