WE ARE NO LONGER ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS. THANK YOU FOR YOUR INTEREST!
The process begins in mid-January and concludes with position offerings just before Spring Break. There is an in-person interview, as well as a group process interview. Please see below for a complete list of steps.
RSA Job Description 2013-2014
Student Staff Application Informational Sessions
The Information sessions for the student staff position are listed below. Please attend one session to review the selection process, minimum requirements to apply, the job description, and the compensation for this position. If you cannot attend any of the sessions listed below, contact the Office of Residential Life at 203-416-3417.
- You must have a 2.5 grade point average both cumulatively, and for the semester prior to employment.
- You must be a full time undergraduate student at Sacred Heart University.
- You must be eligible for campus housing to be a student staff member. All students are granted four years of undergraduate housing. As long as you will be within the four allotted years while working as a student staff member, you may be granted a student staff position.
- You must not have open/active judicial sanctions with a judicial hearing officer at Sacred Heart University. You may still apply for a residential life student staff member position if you have been found responsible for something in the past. However, you may not be on any type of disciplinary probation with any judicial officer at the University at the time of employment. Your judicial history will be reviewed and your candidacy for employment will be determined by the Office of Residential Life during the selection period.
Aside from the priceless leadership experience you will gain from being a student staff member at Sacred Heart University, you will be awarded a base stipend of $3600.00 in the form of a financial aid package. The actual amount may change based on your appointment for the 2013-2014 academic year. Actual stipend amounts will be shared prior to the start of your appointment. In addition, all student staff members receive departmental apparel to be worn during official residential life functions and responsibilities.
Here is a very brief overview of the application process. For additional information, be sure to attend one of the informational sessions posted above, or contact the Office of Residential Life.
- Student Staff On-line Application - Visit the link below to begin your Application. (DUE FEBRUARY 11, 2013 @ 12:00PM)
- Reference Forms - The reference form is available here RSA Reference Form 2013-2014. Please print out two copies of the reference form and distribute them to two people you would like to recommend you for the student staff position. Read and complete the top portion of the form prior to distribution. If you do not complete the top portion of the reference, it will be considered incomplete. Please note that one must be a SHU affiliated faculty or staff member or a current RSA. The other reference should be someone who knows you in a supervisory or advisory role. Parents and close family members may not fill out the reference forms. All reference forms must be returned to the Office of Residential Life by February 18, 2013.
- RSA Interview- You will need to interview a current SHU RSA and ask them the prepared questions on the interview sheet. You can get the sheet by clicking here: RSA Interview Form 2013-2014. Please remember to have the RSA sign the sheet and bring this sheet with you on the day of your interview.
- Time Commitment Worksheet - Please fill out this form: RSA Time Commitment Worksheet 2013-2014. Bring it with you to your interview
- Resume - You will need to provide a paper copy of your current resume. Please include at least your last 2 employers (if applicable) and what kind of work you have done in the past. Please also list any community service, volunteering, or special achievements you have received. The resume is due at the time of your interview.
- Program Idea - Complete the RSA Program Planner 2013-2014 and bring it with you to your interview.
- Group Process Day - Saturday, February 16th, 9am. This portion of the RSA application process is a group activity day. Please dress appropriately (jeans and polo shirt are acceptable). You will be partaking in a number of exercises to explore how you work with others in a variety of settings.
- Individual Interviews - Friday, February 15th, All Day – Lasting roughly 45 minutes, your individual interview will be with a member of the Office of Residential Life Staff. You will need to schedule your interview at the Office of Residential Life by February 13, 2013. Note: Interviews will be scheduled on a first come, first served basis and you must complete your Application On-Line before scheduling an interview time. Please remember to bring your completed RSA Interview Sheet, Programming Idea Worksheet, Time Commitment worksheet, and your Resume.
- Notification Letters - Letters notifying you status as a student staff member will be sent out via e-mail to all applicants by Friday, March 1st, 2013.