Students looking for on-campus SHU housing for the Fall 2016 semester are very strongly encouraged to participate in the Housing Selection Process that takes place from February to April, 2016. This is a multi-faceted, active process that requires students to do things on timeline in order to preserve the most options available to them.
For the month of February into early March, the main items to be aware of are:
- Paying the Housing Deposit
- Attending a Housing Information Session
- Applying for Pre-Selection/Specialty Housing options (if applicable)
All undergraduate students interested in living in residential housing for the Fall 2016 semester are required to place a $500 deposit. The deposit is applied toward the Fall 2016 housing fee.
- A NONREFUNDABLE* lottery number deposit of $500 must be made to Student Accounts for housing by noon on March 4, 2016. Please Note: Deposit payable by cash or check only. This is a separate charge and will not appear on your billing statement.
- The student’s financial account balance must be paid to date (i.e. paid in full OR current with March 4TH DEADLINE, IT IS RECOMMENDED THAT IT BE MAILED NO LATER THAN February 29, 2016.
Please make check payable to SACRED HEART UNIVERSITY and be sure to indicate on the check “FOR HOUSING DEPOSIT & SHU ID#” Mail to: Sacred Heart University c/o Student Accounts, 5151 Park Avenue, Fairfield, CT 06825.
The deposit ensures that each student has a valid lottery number, students then need to follow the housing selection process in order to secure a housing placement. Students who deposit late may not be included in the lottery and will select housing through Final Selection.
*Deposit is officially surrendered once you receive a lottery number and select a housing placement or when housing is assigned to you for the Fall 2016 Semester through the selection process.
Housing Information Sessions
The Housing Information Session is the primary way that pertinent information is communicated to students regarding the Housing Selection Process. An overview of the process, deadlines, and what needs to be done will be covered and staff will be on hand to answer questions. ALL students planning on returning or choosing on campus housing are required to attend one of the sessions.
Location for all meetings is the Schine Auditorium (unless otherwise noted)
- Monday, February 8 at 10:30am
- Tuesday, February 9 at 3:30pm
- Friday, February 12 at 2pm
- Monday, February 15 at 10:30am
- Tuesday, February 16 at 2pm
- Wednesday, February 17 at 2pm (Freshmen Only)
- Saturday, February 20 at 1pm
- Wednesday, February 24 at 2pm
- Friday, February 26 at 2pm
Sophomore Residency Requirement
As was published in the Student Handbook, current residential freshmen in the Class of 2019 are REQUIRED TO LIVE IN SACRED HEART UNIVERSITY HOUSING. All rising sophomore students must still put down the deposit in order to be eligible to select into housing through this process. Students who do not select housing will be assigned after the process is complete.
Special Needs Housing Requests
If you are a returning student that requires special consideration for housing (i.e. medical conditions, mobility issues, etc.) you are required to submit a new application each year to the Residential Life Office which outlines your documented medical condition and needs. This must be submitted by March 4, 2016 to be reviewed by the Special Needs Committee. Responses concerning special needs requests will be made in March prior to General Housing Selection. Submissions for special needs accommodations received after March4 might not be honored. For instructions on how to submit a request, please see the following informational package.
Room Selection Dates
The following dates are when General Selection takes place. Keep in mind that there are a few steps in the process that students must do in advance of the room selection days listed below.
- April 14 - 21: Rising Sophomores
- April 22: Final Selection for Sophomores
- April 26: Rising Juniors ONLY
- April 27: Rising Junior & Rising Senior mixed groups
- April 28: Rising Seniors ONLY
- April 29: Final Selection for Juniors & Seniors
Oakwood Pre-selection Application
Rising Junior and Rising Seniors are eligible to apply for Oakwood Pre-selection housing. Students must have a cumulative GPA of at least 3.0 and have no responsible conduct findings for the current academic year. All students must be in a group of 2 or 4 in order to apply; no individual applications will be considered. Students who receive Oakwood a Pre-selection assignment can be decline their assignment by March 23 and will be eligible to receive a lottery number and can choose housing in General Selection or Final Selection. If any apartments remain at the conclusion of the Oakwood Pre-selection housing process, these units will be available during General Selection.
Return completed forms to the Residential Life Office in Roncalli hall no later than March 4.
Housing Selection Information Booklet
The Housing Selection Booklet contains the following information:
- General Information
- Detailed Timeline
- How to Select Roommates
- How to Use the Online System