Current SHU Students looking for on-campus SHU housing for the Fall 2018 semester are very strongly encouraged to participate in the Housing Selection Process that takes place from February to April, 2018. This is a multi-faceted, active process that requires students to do things on timeline in order to preserve the most options available to them. This Housing Selection Process is not for the incoming class of 2022.
For the month of February into early March, the main items to be aware of are:
- Paying the Housing Deposit
- Attending a Housing Information Session
- Completing the online Housing Registration
- Submitting a Special Needs Request (if applicable)
All undergraduate students wishing to live in Sacred Heart University residential housing for the Fall 2018 semester are required to place a $500 deposit. The deposit is applied toward the Fall 2018 housing fee.
- A NON-REFUNDABLE* deposit of $500 must be made to Student Accounts for housing by 4PM on March 2, 2018. Deposit payable by cash or check only. This is a separate charge and will not appear on your billing statement.
- The student's financial account balance must be paid to date (i.e. paid in full OR current) by March 2, 2018 Deadline. It is recommended that deposits and balances be mailed no later than February 26, 2018.
- Make check payable to SACRED HEART UNIVERSITY and be sure to indicate on the check "FOR HOUSING DEPOSIT & SHU ID#"
- Mail checks to: Sacred Heart University c/o Student Accounts, 5151 Park Avenue, Fairfield, CT 06825
The deposit ensures that each student has a valid lottery number, students then need to follow the housing selection process in order to secure a housing placement. Students who deposit late may not be included in the lottery and will select housing through Final Selection.
*The deposit is surrendered upon submission. The deposit is officially applied to the Fall 2018 bill if a student receives a lottery number and selects a housing placement or if housing is assigned to the student for the Fall 2018 Semester through the selection process.
Housing Information Sessions
The housing information session is the primary way that pertinent information is communicated to students regarding the Housing Selection Process. An overview of the process, deadlines, and what needs to be done will be covered and staff will be on hand to answer questions. ALL students planning on returning or choosing on campus housing are required to attend one of the sessions.
If you plan on selecting housing, it is required that you attend an information session. Attendance will be taken. The entire process will be explained and staff will be present to answer questions.
All info sessions last approximately one hour and are held at the Schine Auditorium, unless otherwise noted.
Wednesday, January 31, 2018 at 2pm (Martire Theater)
Friday, February 2, 2018 at 3:30pm (Schine Auditorium)
Monday, February 5, 2018 at 12pm (Martire Theater)
Wednesday, February 7, 2018 at 3:30pm (Schine Auditorium)
Tuesday, February 13, 2018 at 7:30pm (Schine Auditorium)
Wednesday, February 14, 2018 at 2pm (*Edgerton Theater - Current Freshmen of the Class of 2021 Only)
Friday, February 16, 2018 at 3:30pm (Schine Auditorium)
Saturday, February 17, 2018 at 2:30pm (Schine Auditorium)
Thursday, February 22, 2018 at 12pm (Martire Theater)
Friday, February 23, 2018 at 10am (Martire Theater)
Sophomore Residency Requirement
As was published in the Student Handbook, current residential freshmen in the Class of 2021 are REQUIRED TO LIVE IN SACRED HEART UNIVERSITY HOUSING. All rising sophomore students must still put down the deposit in order to be eligible to select into housing through this process. Students who do not select housing will be assigned after the process is complete.
Anticipated Housing Availability
The available housing for students is based on the student’s class year. We anticipate the following options (subject to change):
- Housing for Rising Sophomores (students who started at SHU in Fall 2017): Bergoglio Hall, Scholars Commons, Christian Witness Commons and Pioneer Gardens.
*Oakwood Gardens - Select apartments within this area may be available for Rising Sophomores, TBD prior to selection.
- Housing for Rising Juniors (students who started at SHU in Fall 2015 & 2016): Select apartments in Oakwood Gardens, The Ridge and Taft Commons.
Special Needs Housing Requests
If a student requires special consideration for housing (i.e. medical conditions, mobility issues, etc.) they are required to submit an application through the Office of Special Services which outlines their documented medical condition and needs. Each student must submit a NEW request each year, regardless of their previous assignment or special requests made in prior academic years. This must be submitted by March 2 to be reviewed by the Special Needs Committee. Responses concerning special needs requests will be made via e-mail in March prior to General Housing Selection. Special Needs submissions received after March 2 might not be honored. Although we have rooms/areas that meet specific needs, they are limited and are assigned via the assessment of our Special Needs Committee. Priority is given to requests involving physical conditions. Requests involving non-physical or psychological conditions will be accepted and assessed by the committee. All requests for special accommodations must submit a full and complete application to the Office of Special Services by the appropriate deadline to be considered. For instructions on how to submit a complete request, please refer to the guide below.
- Guide for Submitting a Special Needs Housing Request
- Disability Verification Form (.PDF)
- Disability Verification Form (Word)
Room Selection Dates
The following dates are when General Selection takes place. Keep in mind that there are a few steps in the process that students must complete in advance of the room selection days listed below.
- Wednesday April 4, 2018
- Friday April 6, 2018
- Tuesday April 10, 2018
Rising Juniors & Seniors:
- Wednesday April 18, 2018
- Friday April 20, 2018
- Senior/Junior Final Selection: Tuesday April 24, 2018
Additional Information & reminder emails will be sent out concerning the Housing Selection Process throughout the semester. Make sure to check and read each update carefully!
Any other questions? Contact the Residential Life Office.