Current SHU Students looking for on-campus SHU housing for the Fall 2017 semester are very strongly encouraged to participate in the Housing Selection Process that takes place from February to April, 2017. This is a multi-faceted, active process that requires students to do things on timeline in order to preserve the most options available to them. This Housing Selection Process is not for the incoming class of 2021.
For the month of February into early March, the main items to be aware of are:
- Paying the Housing Deposit
- Attending a Housing Information Session
- Applying for Pre-Selection/Specialty Housing options (if applicable)
All undergraduate students wishing to live in Sacred Heart University residential housing for the Fall 2017 semester are required to place a $500 deposit. The deposit is applied toward the Fall 2017 housing fee.
- A NON-REFUNDABLE* deposit of $500 must be made to Student Accounts for housing by 4PM on March 3, 2017. Deposit payable by cash or check only. This is a separate charge and will not appear on your billing statement.
- The student's financial account balance must be paid to date (i.e. paid in full OR current) by March 3, 2017 Deadline. It is recommended that it deposits and balances be mailed no later than February 27, 2017.
- Make check payable to SACRED HEART UNIVERSITY and be sure to indicate on the check "FOR HOUSING DEPOSIT & SHU ID#"
- Mail checks to: Sacred Heart University c/o Student Accounts, 5151 Park Avenue, Fairfield, CT 06825
The deposit ensures that each student has a valid lottery number, students then need to follow the housing selection process in order to secure a housing placement. Students who deposit late may not be included in the lottery and will select housing through Final Selection.
*The deposit is surrendered upon submission. The deposit is officially applied to the Fall 2017 bill if a student receives a lottery number and selects a housing placement or if housing is assigned to the student for the Fall 2017 Semester through the selection process.
Housing Information Sessions
The housing information session is the primary way that pertinent information is communicated to students regarding the Housing Selection Process. An overview of the process, deadlines, and what needs to be done will be covered and staff will be on hand to answer questions. ALL students planning on returning or choosing on campus housing are required to attend one of the sessions.
If you plan on selecting housing, it is required that you attend an information session. Attendance will be taken. The entire process will be explained and staff will be present to answer questions.
All info sessions last approximately one hour and are held at the Schine Auditorium, unless otherwise noted.
Wednesday, February 8, 2017 at 2pm
Friday, February 10, 2017 at 3:30pm
Monday, February 13, 2017 at 11am
Thursday, February 16, 2017 at 6:30pm (Freshmen Only)
Saturday, February 18, 2017 at 2pm
Tuesday, February 21, 2017 at 3:30pm
Wednesday, February 22, 2017 at 2pm
Monday, February 27, 2017 at 11am
Sophomore Residency Requirement
As was published in the Student Handbook, current residential freshmen in the Class of 2020 are REQUIRED TO LIVE IN SACRED HEART UNIVERSITY HOUSING. All rising sophomore students must still put down the deposit in order to be eligible to select into housing through this process. Students who do not select housing will be assigned after the process is complete.
Anticipated Housing Availability
The available housing for students is based on the student’s class year. We anticipate the following options (subject to change):
- Housing for Rising Sophomores (students who started at SHU in Fall 2016): Bergoglio Hall, Scholars Commons, Christian Witness Commons, select apartments in Pioneer Gardens
- Housing for Rising Juniors (students who started at SHU in Fall 2015): Toussaint Hall*, The Ridge, Taft and select apartments in Pioneer Gardens.
- Housing for Rising Seniors (students who started at SHU in Fall 2014): Toussaint Hall*, The Ridge and Taft.
*Toussaint Hall is scheduled to be ready for occupancy approximately 8 weeks after the beginning of the Fall semester. Housing accommodations for students who select Toussaint will be at the Trumbull Marriott hotel during this time while the renovations are taking place. Further information regarding this will be discussed at the Housing Selection Information Sessions.
Special Needs Housing Requests
If you are a returning student that requires special consideration for housing (i.e. medical conditions, mobility issues, etc.) you are required to submit a new application each year to the Office of Special Services which outlines your documented medical condition and needs. The application is two-fold and will require an online application as well as documentation from the student's physician. This must be submitted by March 3, 2017 to be reviewed by the Special Needs Committee. Responses concerning special needs requests will be made in March prior to General Housing Selection. Submissions for special needs accommodations received after March 3, 2017 might not be honored. For instructions on how to submit a request, please use the following guidelines and disability verification forms.
- 2017-2018 Special Needs Request Guidelines - Returning Student
- Disability Verification Form for Physicians – Word Version
- Disability Verification Form for Physicians – PDF Version
Sophomore LLC Application
There are four Living Learning Communities (LLC) available for Pre-Selection for Rising Sophomore students. These include: Honors LLC, Welch College of Business LLC, SHU Well LLC, Community & Justice LLC. To be a part of an LLC, students must meet certain eligibility requirements and complete the following application due on March 1, 2017.
Room Selection Dates
The following dates are when General Selection takes place. Keep in mind that there are a few steps in the process that students must do in advance of the room selection days listed below.
- Wednesday April 5, 2017
- Friday April 7, 2017
- Monday April 10, 2017
- Sophomore Final Selection: Tuesday April 11, 2017
Rising Juniors & Seniors:
- Rising Juniors only: Wednesday April 19, 2017
- Rising Junior & Rising Senior mixed groups: Friday April 21, 2017
- Rising Seniors: Monday April 24, 2017
- Senior/Junior Final Selection: April 25, 2017
For detailed information on the entire Housing Selection Process, please refer to:
Additional Information & reminder emails will be sent out concerning the Housing Selection Process throughout the semester. Make sure to check and read each update carefully!
Any other questions? Contact the Residential Life Office.