Below are the three easy steps you need to take to sign up for housing at Sacred Heart University. If you run into any difficulty as you go through this process, please do not hesitate to contact the Office of Residential Life at 203-416-3417.
Step 1: Create Your SHU Network Account
Please note that you will need your student ID number for this process. Please anticipate its arrival in mail over the next few days from the Office of Residential Life if you do not already have it.
- Go to: http://myshu.sacredheart.edu
- Click the link "Manage Network Account" located on the left side of the page
- Click the link "Click Here to Set up a New Network Account and Email"
- Fill out the appropriate prompts and click "Next"
- Continue through the remaining screens and your account will activate.
If you run into any difficulty with this process, please contact the IT department at 203-365-7575
Step 2: Fill Out Your Housing Application
- Visit our on-line housing portal at http://housing.sacredheart.edu/
- Use your recently created SHU Username and Password to log in to "my housing"
- Your username is the first portion of your email address. If your e-mail address is email@example.com, your username is "smitha". Using your entire e-mail address will generate an error message.
- Your password will be the same password you created when you visited the "myshu" site in step 1.
- Select from the dropdown menu "Fall 2014 Incoming Freshman Housing Application (Fall 2014)" and click the next button.
- Please note that there are additional active applications available on this page. Please double check and make sure you select the correct application noted above.
- Carefully read the Resident Hall Contract for Student Housing in its entirety. It contains the conditions of your residency on-campus.
- If you are 17 years of age or under on the date of your application (that is, the date you are reading the contract and filling out the applications) STOP! You must print out the Residence Hall application). Please print, fill out the contract, and have a parent or guardian sign the bottom, and either fax it to (203) 4163452 or mail it to:
Office of Residential Life
Attn: Freshman Assignments
5151 Park Avenue
Fairfield, CT 06825
- Fill out the appropriate fields in the Personal Preferences. Click "Continue" when done.
- Select your living Preferences in order. Remember that First-Year students are only eligible to live in "Elizabeth Ann Seton Hall," "Angelo Roncalli Hall," or "Thomas Merton Hall." Click "Add" for each ordered preference. Due to MANY factors, specific Residential Hall preferences are requests and do not guarantee placement in a particular hall. When done, click "Complete Application."
- Your application is now complete! Please print that page, which contains a number of important useful reference information, web-links, and frequently asked questions. You can then proceed to finding roommates and requesting them online.
Step 3: Find & Request Your Roommates Online | Not available until Early June
- If you would like to use the free, official SHU-online roommate matching service, go to http://apps.facebook.com/roomsync
- To set up your unique Roomsync user account, type in "Sacred Heart University" in the network box. Be sure to choose "Sacred Heart University" (NOT the one associated with Living Learning Communities).
- Pick the proper classification (Double/Triple & Male/Female accordingly). Your classification was pre-determined. Selecting into any other classification beside the one that you are assigned will not work.
- Enter in the 6-digit user code that was sent to you in your email. If you lost it or did not receive it, please call the housing office.
- You are now free to build your profile, browse through other student profiles, and communicate with potential roommates.
- When you have found someone that you would like to request to live with, go to the Roommate request tab in Roomsync and formally enter your request there.
To request a roommate that you knew (e.g. from HS, your hometown, or that you met at Orientation). You don't need to go to Roomsync. You can request your roommate through the myhousing portal.
In early June you will be emailed information to your Sacred Heart account with instructions on how to sign up and use Roomsync
- Go to the myhousing website (http://housing.sacredheart.edu/) and follow the following steps.
- Enter your SHU username and password. Remember, this will be the original username and password you created on the "myshu" website.
- Click on the "Roommate Selection" option at the top of the page.
- Enter the first and last name of the student you wish to request and click "Request Student as Roommate." Be sure to do the same if you are requesting another person for a triple room.
- When your roommate group is fully matched, the status next to your roommate requests listed on the screen should read "MATCHES." If this does not match, remind your requested roommate to request you. Without a matching status, the computer will not house you together. This must be complete by Monday, July 7, 2014. You may revisit this site as often as you would like to check the status of your roommate matches.
You are all set. You have your network username and password, you have applied for housing, and you have explored and/or created some roommate requests. Once you applied for housing and made the appropriate requests, the only thing you can do is wait. The Office of Residential Life will make all housing assignments at the end of July. You will receive confirmation of your housing assignment and roommates via the mail, and you will also be able to view your housing at http://housing.sacredheart.edu
Some other things to consider regarding housing
All LLC students are required to live in Roncalli Hall and have an LLC student as their roommate(s). A special section of RoomSync will be available for LLC students who have been accepted by late June, so you can pick an LLC-eligible roommate before the roommate request deadline. Applications are due for the program itself by Monday June 16, 2014.
Please note the following procedure for how students will be assigned to doubles and triples.
- Only Early Decision students are given priority for a double room. Priority is not a guarantee.
- If an ED student picks one other student, they will be in a double room.
- If an ED student picks two other students, they will be in a triple room.
- All other students (not ED) are eligible for a triple room
LLC and ED students will be assigned first. All remaining students are assigned to spaces by the computer based on the following criteria:
- Fully matched roommate groups will be honored into the same room (may be a double or triple)
- Specific Hall Preference (if any) will assign the pair to that hall (if available)
- If necessary, the computer will use data from the Housing Application to assign individuals to empty beds within rooms. Fully matched roommate pairs that do not get a double room, will have a third person assigned into the triple room based on this data from the application.
Single rooms will only be assigned to students with documented medical special needs.
Special Housing Needs
If you have a unique medical condition that you think may require a special accommodation, you are urged to submit this request in writing to the Residential Life Office no later than Wednesday, June 18, 2014. This submission must include documentation of the condition from a medical professional along with a written request for what accommodation is being requested by either the student or parent.
Mail all requests to:
Office of Residential Life
c/o Special Accommodations
Sacred Heart University
5151 Park Avenue
Fairfield, CT 06825
Students will be contacted by the department in July regarding their request. Requests will be honored depending on available space, the nature of the special need, and timeliness of submission.
Please feel free to email us at Reslife@sacredheart.edu if you have any questions about housing, move-in, or anything else that the Residential Life Office could help you with.