Frequently Asked Questions

How can I get involved at SHU?

Every student is encouraged to participate in all Clubs/Organizations, Greek Life, Intramurals, Club Sports, D-1 Athletics, and activities on campus. Be sure to check the SHU News & Events on the homepage for 'Today's Events' as well as the Student Activities Calendar on the Getting Involved page; there are many activities, sporting events and club meetings that you can attend. If you have any questions, please contact Amy Ricci, Director of Student Activities,

What clubs/organizations are offered to commuters?

All of the clubs/organizations that are offered through the Student Life/Student Activities Office are offered to all full-time undergraduate students, regardless of whether they are a commuter or resident student. We encourage all students to get involved in a club, fraternity/sorority, club sport, intramural team, etc. 


Where can I eat on campus?

Commuters are welcome to eat in all of our facilities: Dining Hall, Outtakes, Coyote Jacks, Holy Grounds Cafe and our NEW Student Commons. Commuter students are encouraged to purchase Dining Dollars through Chartwells Food Services.  When you use Dining Dollars you save money on every item. You can always add money to your SHU ID card (cash or credit) by going to the PHIL machine located in the hallway across from the Student Union.


Is the computer lab open to commuters?

Yes, the computer lab is open to all students.  It can be used for research, to type papers, print papers or to check e-mail. 


What can Commuter Life offer me?

Commuter Life offers a variety of things to all commuter students.  We offer social activities, planned events, games, trips, etc.  All commuter students are encouraged to get involved with all that SHU offers because it is an integral part of your college experience. By getting involved, you'll meet other students and expand your horizons outside the classroom. 


Are fraternities/sororities open to commuters?

Yes, all fraternities and sororities are open to all students, regardless of race, religion, sex, or creed.  All students are welcome to find out more information on how to go out for a fraternity or sorority by attending fall recruitment meetings & activities in September.  You can take a glimpse at all the fraternities and sororities and see what they are about.  Each one is unique, special, and offers something different to the SHU campus.


Where can I study?

The best place to study on campus is in the Ryan-Matura Library.  Many students find it quiet and useful for their studies.  Other places you may decide to use as a study area include Hawley Lounge, the Dining Hall, the Mahogany Room, the Student Commons building or even an empty classroom.


Are off-campus jobs advertised on campus?

Yes, there are many flyers located around the campus that offer different types of jobs.  Some of these include babysitting, waiter/waitress, receptionist, etc.  Flyers are posted on 4 designated bulletin boards found on the walls outside of Hawley Lounge, next to the Dining Hall, across from the Mahogany Room and near Public Safety. 


Where can I park my car on campus?

Commuter students are welcome to park in the Commuter, Library and North Lots.  All of these are located to the right of the campus entrance.  Each commuter student has the opportunity to receive a Commuter Parking Sticker for a small cost.  These are distributed during the first couple of weeks in August/September by Student Accounts.  Remember to bring your SHU ID card, your driver's license, your car registration and a form of payment.


Are social events only for residents?
No, all social events on campus are offered to both resident and commuter full-time undergraduate students.  Everyone is invited to attend and is always encouraged to do so.  Commuters should especially attend these events because it allows them to meet resident students.

  • Frequently Asked Questions