- SHU Division I volleyball team members are not allowed to play Intramural volleyball.
- SHU Club volleyball members are limited to two members on one team .
The ceiling, walls, and court dividers are out of play.
A player cannot enter an adjacent court to play the ball.
If a ball rolls onto the playing court, the ref may call a re-do.
- Substitutions may be made when the ball is dead.
- A team is allowed an unlimited number of subs.
- Once you sub for a team member, you can sub in for only that person for the rest of that set.
- All matches shall consist of the best of 2 out of 3 sets.
- Teams may hit the ball no more than 3 times before sending it over the net.
- Back row players may jump only if they take off behind the 10’ line.
- The ball must travel over the net and between the antennas.
- A ball landing on the line is considered in.
- Serves that hit the net and go over are in play.
Starting the Game
- A coin toss will determine who serves the first game of the match.
- A new coin toss is performed before the third game, if necessary.
- When playing the ball, you cannot touch the net, except for hair & clothing.
- No stepping over the center line when involved in an ongoing play.
- No underhanded, open handed hits.
- No pushing the ball from the chest.
- No carrying the ball in an attempt to hit or set.
- No reaching over the net on attacks.
- No blocking the serve.
- Any body part besides the hands hitting the ball must be involuntary in order to keep the ball in play.
- No hitting the ball twice in a row (unless the first contact is a block).
- Rally Scoring is used in all games, no cap.
- Games 1 & 2 are played to 25.
- The third game is played to 15.
- Winners must win by 2 points.