For some departments, there is a need for more student employees than the work-study program allows. In these cases, departments are free to hire student workers out of their departmental budgets by following these five simple steps:
- Confirm that there is sufficient funding within your departmental budget to hire a student employee.
- Create a detailed job description that highlights all requirements and responsibilities associated with the position.
- Seek and interview students—this can be done in whatever manner you see fit, including recruiting students you may already be familiar with or having the job posted through Career Development.
- Complete the “Student Employment Online Request Form,” which is available here.
- If a student doesn't have work-study, Kronos can be used to log their hours or submit weekly timesheets to the Payroll Department.
Please also make note of the following:
- All student workers must have a completed Work Application on file with Student Financial Assistance.
- No student can be paid before a valid payroll authorization is submitted by their supervisor (the Student Employment Online Request Form serves as such).
Paychecks are ready for pick-up every other Friday from the Payroll Department which is located off campus at 101 Oakview Drive, Trumbull, CT. Their hours are 8:30 to 4:00. If the check is not picked up on a pay Friday, the check can be picked up the following Monday or Tuesday from 8:30 to 4:00; otherwise the check is mailed to the student's home address on Wednesday morning. This is why we highly recommend Direct Deposit.
It is the supervisor's responsibility to reconcile student employment transactions on their general ledger prior to the close of the fiscal year. Student Financial Assistance should be notified of any discrepancies before this time so that they can be rectified.