Employees and their dependent students who are eligible to receive the Tuition Remission Benefit, ARE NOT ELIGIBLE to receive any other form of University remuneration, this includes, but is not limited to the following sources: merit/scholarship awards, CLA programs, monetary payment for conducting work as a Work-Study or Student Employment, Scribe, Tutor, Resident Assistant, Student Body, Spectrum, PULSE, IT Factory Technicians, Mascot, Student Leadership positions, Student Ambassador positions, Club Leadership positions, etc.
Departments are free to hire student workers, other than work-study, and pay them out of their departmental budgets by following these five simple steps:
- Check that there is sufficient funding within your departmental budget to hire a student employee.
- Create a detailed job description that highlights all requirements and responsibilities associated with the position.
- Seek and interview students—this can be done in whatever manner you see fit, including recruiting students you may already be familiar with or having the job posted through Career Development.
- Complete the Student Employment Online Request Form.
- If a student does not have work-study, Kronos can be used to log their hours or submit weekly Workstudy Timesheet to the Payroll Department.
Also make note of the following:
- All student workers must have a completed Work Application on file with the Office of Student Financial Assistance.
- No student can be paid before a valid employment/payroll authorization is submitted to the Office Student Financial Assistance. The authorization should be done online as stated above in #4.
- Students are paid every other Friday and may pick up their check/direct deposit voucher from the Payroll Department between 8:30am and 4:00pm (located on the 2nd floor of Melady Hall). We highly recommend Direct Deposit because if the check/direct deposit voucher is not picked up by the following Wednesday morning, they are mailed to the student's home address.
- Supervisors MUST approve students' hours in Kronos or submit paper timesheets to the Payroll Department by 1:00pm on Monday of a pay week in order for students to get paid by that Friday. Failure to do so will result in students waiting another two weeks before they get paid.
It is the supervisor's responsibility to reconcile student employment transactions on their general ledger prior to the close of the fiscal year. The Office of Student Financial Assistance should be notified of any discrepancies before this time so that they can be rectified.