For some departments, there is a need for more student employees than the work-study program allows. In these cases, departments are free to hire student workers out of their departmental budgets by following these five simple steps:
- Confirm that there is sufficient funding within your departmental budget to hire a student employee.
- Create a detailed job description that highlights all requirements and responsibilities associated with the position.
- Seek and interview students—this can be done in whatever manner you see fit, including recruiting students you may already be familiar with, sending e-mail blasts, or having the job posted through Career Development.
- Complete the “Student Employment Online Request Form,” which is available here.
- Submit weekly timesheets to the Payroll Department for your student worker(s).
Please also make note of the following:
- All student workers must have a completed Work Application on file with the Office of Financial Assistance.
- No student can be paid before a valid payroll authorization is submitted by their supervisor (the Student Employment Online Request Form serves as such).
- Students are paid on a bi-weekly basis, and checks are distributed every other Friday outside of the Faculty Lounge. Students that elect to participate in direct deposit can either pick up their pay stubs at this time, or have them mailed home.
- It is the supervisor's responsibility to reconcile student employment transactions on their general ledger prior to the close of the fiscal year. Student Financial Assistance should be notified of any discrepancies before this time so that they can be rectified.