Departments are free to hire student workers, other than work-study, and pay them out of their departmental budgets by following these five simple steps:
- Check that there is sufficient funding within your departmental budget to hire a student employee.
- Create a detailed job description that highlights all requirements and responsibilities associated with the position.
- Seek and interview students—this can be done in whatever manner you see fit, including recruiting students you may already be familiar with or having the job posted through Career Development.
- Complete the Student Employment Online Request Form.
- If a student doesn't have work-study, Kronos can be used to log their hours or submit weekly timesheets to the Payroll Department.
Also make note of the following:
- All student workers must have a completed Work Application on file with Student Financial Assistance.
- No student can be paid before a valid employment/payroll authorization is submitted to Student Financial Assistance. The authorization should be done online as stated above in #4.
- Students are paid every other Friday from the Payroll Department which is located on the second floor of Melady Hall. Their hours are 8:30AM to 4PM. If the check/direct deposit voucher is not picked up on a pay Friday, it is mailed to the student's home address the following Wednesday morning. This is why we highly recommend Direct Deposit.
- Supervisors MUST approve students' hours in Kronos by 1:00pm on Monday of a pay week or submit paper timesheets to the Payroll Department for the students to get paid that Friday. Failure to do so, will result in students waiting another two weeks before they get paid.
It is the supervisor's responsibility to reconcile student employment transactions on their general ledger prior to the close of the fiscal year. Student Financial Assistance should be notified of any discrepancies before this time so that they can be rectified.