Student Work-Study Guide

Students are notified whether or not they have work-study on their Financial Aid Award Letter or by logging into SHU Awards. Having received work-study in the past does not guarantee being awarded every year. Under no circumstances should a department hire a student or should a student accept a job and begin working until the student receives and returns a completed Referral Form to Student Financial Assistance.

What is Work Study?

Work-Study is a form of financial aid, funded by the Federal Government, that helps students meet educational expenses through part-time employment during the academic year. One common misconception about this program is that students study while on the job. Legally, the Federal Government stipulates work-study wages are paid only for hours worked. The program is designed to give students a working experience. Students are not permitted to study while on the job.

How do I get a Referral Form?

Referral Forms will be emailed to your SHU email address during the first week of school provided you have a completed Work Application on file. If you don't receive this form, check with Student Financial Assistance. When the completed Referral Form is returned, the student is activated in Kronos to access their electronic timecard. Students that do not hand in their Referral Form will be delayed in getting paid.

How do I find a job?

A complete list of available jobs is posted online and activated just before the start of school.  It is updated frequently because jobs fill up quickly.  Students should contact departments as soon as possible. If an interview is scheduled, you should bring your class schedule and Referral Form with you.  If hired, return the completed Referral Form to the Student Financial Assistance before work begins.

Can I work in more than one department?

You may not hold two work-study jobs at the same time, so it is important to select a job that will provide you with enough hours to earn the total amount of your award.

How many hours can I work?

The work-study amount you are awarded represents the maximum you may earn over the course of the academic year. On your Referral Form your total award is broken down into recommended hours per week. Working the recommended hours per week will ensure your award to last until the end of the academic year. You may work more or less than the recommended hours, but be aware working more than the recommended hours each week will cause you to reach your maximum award sooner.  It is a University policy that students should not work more than 15 hours in one week so their job does not interfere with their schoolwork.

How will I get paid?

You will need to log in and out in Kronos (electronic timecard) every time you work. Your hours are then sent to your supervisor to be approved. Your hours must be approved by your supervisor for you to receive your paycheck in a timely manner. Students are paid bi-weekly on Friday.

If you are unable to get into Kronos, we may not have received your Referral Form. You should check with Student Financial Assistance before you continue working.

Funds will be directly deposited into a checking or savings account upon completion of a Payroll Direct Deposit Authorization form. Please complete and return it to Student Financial Assistance. Your request may take up to three pay periods to be processed.  In the meantime, you will receive actual paychecks. If you already completed a direct deposit form the previous year, there is no need to complete another one unless there are changes.

If you are having problems getting paid, NOTIFY your supervisor and/or Student Financial Assistance immediately. The longer you wait, the longer it will take to get the issue resolved!

Where can I pick-up my paycheck?

Paychecks are ready for pick-up on pay Fridays from the Payroll Department which is located off campus at 101 Oakview Drive, Trumbull, CT.  Their hours are 8:30AM to 4PM.  If you don't pick up your check on a pay Friday, you can pick up your check the following Monday or Tuesday from 8:30AM to 4PM; otherwise your check is mailed to your home address on Wednesday morning. This is why we highly recommend Direct Deposit.

What happens when I earn my full award amount?

It is the student's responsibility to keep track of their award. Your check/direct deposit stubs show your year-to-date earnings. If you have exceeded your awarded amount you cannot continue working. To figure out how many hours you have remaining, you can take the difference of your awarded amount and the amount you have made and divide it by your pay rate.  But, you will receive emails every two weeks of what remains for your work-study.


The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) is a federal law, enacted in 1974, that ensures the confidentiality of student records. As a student employee of Sacred Heart University, you should become familiar with some of the basic provisions of FERPA to make certain that you do not violate this federal law. FERPA violations may result in disciplinary action including, but not limited to, the loss of your job.

You must not, under any circumstances, release student information to anyone, unless your position specifically requires you to do so. You must refer any requests for information about a student to your supervisor to ensure that you do not violate FERPA.

You must avoid acquiring student record information that you do not need to do your job, and you may not exchange student information that you have learned while performing your job. Even a minor disclosure of information (e.g.: telling another student of someones class schedule) may be a FERPA violation and may result in disciplinary action. Any information you obtain on the job regarding students must remain in the workplace.