If your FAFSA is selected for federal verification you must submit additional documents (located under the My Documents tab on SHUAwards) to our office. When selected for verification, there are two options for providing income verification documentation. For tax filers, the most efficient way to provide this information is through the use of the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (DRT) on the FAFSA. Tax filers may instead opt to request a tax return transcript through the IRS. Due to the difference in processing time, we strongly recommend utilizing the IRS Data Retrieval Tool.
Please note recently widowed, separated, married - filed separately, or divorced parents that were required to file a joint return are NOT eligible to use the IRS Date Retrieval Tool. In these cases you will need to request the tax return transcript(s).
Option 1 – IRS Data Retrieval Into FAFSA:
If the student/parent has not already used the tool, go to FAFSA.gov, log in to the student’s FAFSA record, select Make FAFSA Corrections and navigate to the Financial Information section. From there, follow the instructions to determine if the student/parent is eligible to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool to transfer 2015 IRS income tax information into the student’s FAFSA. Once the IRS data transfer is complete, electronically SIGN and SUBMIT your FAFSA.
Please note that it takes up to two weeks for electronic tax return filers and up to eight weeks for paper tax return filers for IRS income information to become available for the IRS Data Retrieval Tool.
Option 2 - IRS Tax Return Transcripts:
If you do not or cannot use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool, all tax filers must submit a 2015 IRS Tax Return Transcript; you may obtain this by one of the following:
- Online Request: Follow this link and choose Get Transcript Online or Get Transcript by Mail. Be sure to request the IRS Tax Return Transcript and NOTthe IRS Tax Account Transcript.
- IRS2Go App: You may download the app at either of the following to request a transcript:
- Form 4868 that was filed with the IRS for the tax year
- Copy of the IRS approval of the extension beyond the 6-month extension (if applicable)
- 2015 W-2 Form(s) or if self-employed, a signed statement certifying the 2015 AGI and Income Tax Paid
- Tax Return Database View (TRDV) Transcript obtained from the IRS by calling 1-800-908-4490
- Statement signed and dated by the tax filer indicating that they were victims of IRS tax-related identity theft and that the IRS has been made of aware of the tax-related identity theft
- IRS Form 1040X (signed)
- IRS Tax Return Transcript that includes information from the original OR any other IRS Transcript that includes all income and tax information from the original tax return required for verification
Foreign Tax Returns/Puerto Rico, Northern Mariana Islands, Guam, American Samoa, or U.S. Virgin Islands Tax Returns
- Transcript from relevant taxing authority listing tax account information for the tax year, if transcript can be obtained at no cost. Otherwise, a copy of tax return filed with taxing authority.
2016 - 2017 Verification Documents
If selected for verification, please submit the form that applies to you. If you are unsure, the appropriate form is available on your SHUAwards account under the My Documents tab.
- 2016-2017 Verification Form - V1
- 2016-2017 Verification Form - V4
- 2016-2017 Verification Form - V5
- 2016-2017 Verification Form - V6
2016 - 2017 Additional Verification Documents