If your FAFSA was selected for Verification you must submit additional documents to our office. The documents required will be located in SHUawards under the My Documents tab.
IRS Income Verification for tax filers can be obtained in two different ways: Option 1 - IRS Data Retrieval Tool through FAFSA (the quickest route) or Option 2 - Tax Return Transcript request through the IRS. Due to the difference in processing time, we strongly recommend utilizing the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (Option 1).
- Please note recently widowed, separated, married - filed separately, or divorced parents that were required to file a joint return are NOT eligible to use the IRS Date Retrieval Tool. In these cases you will need to follow Option 2.
- For families with special circumstances, such as filing tax extensions (Form 4868), victims of identity theft, amended tax return filers (1040X), please see the section on special circumstances below.
Option 1 – IRS Data Retrieval Into FAFSA:
The most efficient way to verify income is by using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool within your FAFSA application. If the student/parent has not already used the tool, go to FAFSA.gov, log in to the student’s FAFSA record, select “Make FAFSA Corrections,” and navigate to the Financial Information section. From there, follow the instructions to determine if the student/parent is eligible to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool to transfer 2015 IRS income tax information into the student’s FAFSA. Once the IRS data transfer is complete, electronically SIGN and SUBMIT your FAFSA. It takes up to two weeks for IRS income information to be available for the IRS Data Retrieval Tool for electronic IRS tax return filers and up to eight weeks for paper IRS tax return filers.
Option 2 - IRS Tax Return Transcripts:
If you do not or cannot use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool, all tax filers must submit a 2015 IRS Tax Return Transcript. You can obtain a Tax Return Transcript by using one of the following:
- Online Request - Go to www.IRS.gov, under the Tools heading on the IRS homepage, click "Get Transcript by Mail" or "Get Transcript Online." Make sure to request the “IRS Tax Return Transcript” and NOT the “IRS Tax Account Transcript.”
- IRS2Go App– download the app at the following to request a transcript:
- Telephone Request - 1-800-908-9946
- Paper Request Form - IRS Form 4506T-EZ or IRS Form 4506-T on www.irs.gov.
- Form 4868 that was filed with the IRS for the tax year
- Copy of the IRS approval of the extension beyond the 6 month extension (if applicable)
- W-2 Form(s) in 2015 or if self-employed, a signed statement certifying the 2015 AGI and Income Tax Paid
- Tax Return Database View (TRDV) Transcript obtained from the IRS by calling 1-800-908-4490
- Statement signed and dated by the tax filer indicating that they were victims of IRS Tax-related identity theft and that the IRS has been made of aware of the tax-related identity theft
- IRS Form 1040X (signed)
- IRS Tax Return Transcript that includes information from the original OR any other IRS Transcript that includes all income and tax information from the original tax return required for verification.
Foreign Tax Returns/Puerto Rico, Northern Mariana Islands, Guam, American Samoa, or U.S. Virgin Islands Tax Returns
- Transcript from relevant taxing authority listing tax account information for the tax year, if transcript can be obtained at no cost. Otherwise, a copy of tax return filed with taxing authority.
2016 - 2017 Verification Documents
Please choose the following form that applies to you. If you do not know which form to fill out please check your SHUAwards page.
- 2016-2017 Verification Form - V1
- 2016-2017 Verification Form - V4
- 2016-2017 Verification Form - V5
- 2016-2017 Verification Form - V6
2016 - 2017 Additional Verification Documents