FAQ’s on Required Paperwork

FAQ's on Required Paperwork

In order to be eligible for financial assistance you must complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). In addition to the FAFSA, first year students must also complete a CSS Profile. Any additional required paperwork may be found under the "Documents" page on your SHUawards account.

SHUawards will list your awards and any documentation needed to finalize your award package. All federal and state financial assistance awards will be listed as “estimated” on your bill until required documents (e.g., signed tax returns, W-2s, verification form, etc.) are received and the verification process is complete. Financial assistance awards will then be officially deducted from the balance due. Failure to provide documentation necessary to complete the verification process will result in a cancellation of federal and state financial assistance awards.

For the Federal Pell Grant or any Title IV Campus-Based Aid (SEOG, Work-Study, Perkins Loan, Stafford Loan), a valid Student Aid Report (SAR) or electronic student Aid Report (ISIR) must be on file with this office in order to actually receive the funds. This report results from filing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). For any of the Federal Family Education Loan Programs you must submit a separate application, otherwise known as the Master Promissory Note (MPN). If you have not submitted an MPN and are interested in this loan program, our office will be able to provide instructions for completion. If you have been selected by the United States Department of Education for verification, additional documents, such as tax returns and W2’s, will be required. Our office will advise you of what is needed for this process.

The Non-Custodial Parent Profile is required for student’s whose parents are divorced, separated, or never married. The non-custodial parent is required to complete the non-custodial PROFILE. The application is available online through the College Board following the completion of the CSS PROFILE registration process.

The College Board will provide the family with instructions and information to pass on to the non-custodial parent. The message will include a link to the Non-Custodial Parent Profile and a pre-assigned login and password that must be used by the non-custodial parent to access the site.

Any issues with this form should be directed to our office.

Requirements for Waiving the Non-Custodial Parent Profile:

In order to waive the Non-Custodial Parent Profile, Sacred Heart asks for two supporting documents:

Personal Statement:

Please submit a letter from you or your custodial parent explaining the nature of your family circumstances which you feel make it necessary to waive the non-custodial parent’s application and financial aid requirements. Be sure to provide as much detail as possible.

Third Party Statement:

Please submit a notarized letter from a third party (counselor, clergy, teacher, attorney, etc.) that confirms the amount of contact, or lack thereof, with your non-custodial parent. Letters from family members will not be considered unless they contain information above and beyond what a third-party can provide.

***Please attach any and all legal documents that apply to your situation such as death certificate, restraining order, divorce decree, documentation of incarceration, court order, etc. If the non-custodial parent is not listed on the student’s birth certificate or adoption paperwork, please send a copy of that paperwork as well.