DSST exams were developed for military personnel but are now open to the general public. Exams are offered in a variety of areas including various aspects of business, subjects within social sciences, physical science, and humanities as well as foreign languages.
What are some of the advantages of taking DSST exams? You can:
- Test out of courses.
- Get credit for what you already know.
- Shorten the time to a degree.
- Save tuition dollars, if passed, and gives you 3 college credits!
Exams are given at Sacred Heart University’s Stamford Campus Monday through Thursday. Contact the Stamford Campus at 203-569-8442 or stop by to pick up a DSST packet.
Sacred Heart University DSST Test Center #8380
Due to the administration of DSST exams on computers, there are a limited number of spaces available for each test date. You are advised to register as early as possible.
To register for a DSST exam, you must:
- Review and choose an exam date
- Complete the online registration form
- Pay online with a credit card (SHU accepts only MasterCard, Visa, and Discover for DSST registration fee), or bring a check (on testing day) made payable to "Sacred Heart University" for a non-refundable registration fee of $120. There is a surcharge for returned checks.
- DSST exam fee is $80, payable on the day of the exam by credit card only. (DSST accepts only MasterCard, Visa, and American Express).
- After your application is received, a letter confirming the date and time will be emailed to you.
Note: If you do not receive a score on the DSST test that will enable you to obtain credit for the course, you must wait three months (90 days) in order to retake the same test.
Active-Duty Service Members
DSST exams are funded by the Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education Support (Dantes) for eligible military personnel and civilian employees with a proper identification.
Who is Eligible for Dantes-Funded DSST Exams?
Service members are able to take DANTES – funded DSST exams at college tests centers without paying the exam fee, but are still required to pay the test center registration fee to the college that provides the service.
You will be allowed to reschedule only ONCE for the next available date. Failure to reschedule and/or appear for your scheduled test will require you to re-register and again pay the non-refundable registration fee. The deadline for rescheduling your exam is ONE WEEK before the examination date. The office wants to be able to offer your space to another student if you decide to reschedule.
You may register for only one DSST exam per test date.
Visit the DSST Exam Dates containing the DSST exam dates offered by Sacred Heart University.
Visit the DSST website at http://www.getcollegecredit.com for further information.