Horizons at SHU will be recruiting and selecting a total of 16 kindergarten students for the 2014 summer program. Applicants will be considered from low income Bridgeport families with students currently in kindergarten in the Bridgeport schools listed below. Students will be selected based on academic potential (can be above, at, or below grade level), family support, financial need, school recommendation, and demonstrated good behavior.
All families with students currently in fourth grade or above can apply to the Horizons at Greens Farms Academy program.
The Horizons at SHU program will accept applications from students that attend the following Bridgeport schools.
- Luis Munoz Marin
- Paul Laurence Dunbar
- Cathedral Academy - Bridgeport
Applying to Horizons at SHU
The completed application is due March 31, 2014. An application is considered complete when the Horizons office has received the application form, most recent report card, teacher assessment, an IEP or 504 plan (if applicable) and a 2012 or 2013 tax return.
- Fill out one application for each child applying to the program. Answer every question; the application must be filled out completely for your child to be considered for admission.
- Attach a copy of the child’s most recent report card.
- If your child has an IEP or 504 plan, please include a copy with the application.
- Give the assessment form to your child's teacher, and make sure it is completed and received by the Horizons office by the March 31, 2014 deadline.
- As proof of income, a 2012 or 2013 tax return is required.
- Do not send money; there is no fee to apply to Horizons. The $30.00 fee is payable upon acceptance into the program.
- Completed application and all required materials should be sent to Angela Pitcher, Horizons at Sacred Heart University, 5151 Park Avenue, Fairfield, CT, 06825
Admission decisions will be released by April 18, 2014. Admitted students will be required to attend the final spring Saturday Academy on May 10, 2014. A mandatory parent orientation will also take place that morning. If your child is not admitted, he/she will be placed on a waiting list in the event a space becomes available.
If you have questions, please contact Jeffrey Rumpf, Executive Director, at 203-396-8484 or firstname.lastname@example.org.