Sacred Heart defines undergraduate research as any project done in partnership with or mentored by faculty that makes an original and substantial scholarly contribution to a discipline or content area.
To support undergraduate research at Sacred Heart, the Provost has established the Committee for Undergraduate Research. The Committee assists programs and committees, such as the Undergraduate Research Initiative (URI) Committee in Arts and Sciences, to expand the amount of student scholarship done in the Colleges; works with faculty to establish and share best practices; encourages conference participation and publication; strengthens the University’s association with the Council on Undergraduate Research; and serves as an advocacy body on campus.
The annual Academic Festival, held every April and organized by the Committee, is the culmination of all the activities related to undergraduate research at the University.
Be sure to visit the library's page on undergraduate research. It includes information related to how to conduct research and where to have it published. Here is a running list of recent student publications and presentations at other conferences.
For more information on undergraduate research, contact a member of the Committee or visit the website for the Council on Undergraduate Research (CUR), the leading national organization in the area.
Committee for Undergraduate Research
- Steven Michels (Chair), Assistant Provost for Teaching and Learning
- Pamela Barnwell-Sanders, College of Nursing
- Pennie Sessler Branden, College of Nursing
- Tolga Kaya, College of Arts and Sciences
- Cara Kilgallen, College of Arts and Sciences
- Beverly Lysobey, Digital Commons and Resource Management Librarian
- Theresa Miyashita, College of Health Professions
- Khawaja Mamun, Welch College of Business
- Alicja Stannard, College of Health Professions
- Deirdre Yeater, College of Arts and Sciences