Sacred Heart defines undergraduate research as any project done in partnership with or mentored by faculty that makes an original and substantial scholarly contribution to a discipline or content area.
The Committee for Undergraduate Research assists programs and committees, such as the Undergraduate Research Initiative (URI) Committee in Arts and Sciences, to expand the amount of student scholarship done in the Colleges; works with faculty to establish and share best practices; encourages conference participation and publication; strengthens the University’s association with the Council on Undergraduate Research; and serves as an advocacy body on campus.
More specifically, the Committee curates and edits Sacred Heart University Scholar, an e-journal of undergraduate research, and organizes the Academic Festival, which is the annual celebration of all the activities related to undergraduate research at the University.
Here is a running list of recent student publications and presentations at other conferences. And be sure to visit the library's page on undergraduate research. It includes information related to how to conduct research and other outlets for publication.
For more information on undergraduate research, contact a member of the Committee or visit the website for the Council on Undergraduate Research (CUR), the leading national organization.
Committee for Undergraduate Research
- Steven Michels (Chair), Assistant Provost for Teaching and Learning
- Pamela Barnwell-Sanders, College of Nursing
- Pennie Sessler Branden, College of Nursing
- Tolga Kaya, College of Arts and Sciences
- Cara Kilgallen, College of Arts and Sciences
- Beverly Lysobey, Digital Commons and Resource Management Librarian
- Theresa Miyashita, College of Health Professions
- Khawaja Mamun, Welch College of Business
- Alicja Stannard, College of Health Professions
- Deirdre Yeater, College of Arts and Sciences