Once you have accepted your admissions letter from the Office of Glboal Affairsand have been fully admitted into your study abroad program - i.e. successfully completed the second phase of your admission process – the OGA will register you for the study abroad program.

The SHU registration process is automatic; there is nothing you need to do. In order to register you, we use a “placeholder” course. The placeholder course will say, “Study abroad, 12 credits.”

For programs held during the fall, spring, and academic year, the number of placeholder credits will be 12. For summer programs, the number of credits you are registered for will depend on the summer program you are attending. Summer students, who are applying for summer financial aid, should check carefully that they will be registered as a full-time student for the summer.

It is important for you to know that once we have registered you for study abroad, all other courses for which you might be registered for that term will be deleted. Thus, if you have been accepted into a study abroad program but you do not wish to participate, it is vital that you let us know in writing immediately. If you do not, there is a good chance that we will register you for study abroad and delete all of your other courses for that term. Please remember, it is your responsibility to ensure that your status with us is clear. We cannot fix any problems that occur with your courses if you fail to alert us as soon as possible that you do not wish to participate in the study abroad program.

Registering for classes at your Host Institution

Depending on the program you choose, you may also have to register for courses at your host institution. This process may be completed online or via paper registration, prior to departure, or upon arrival. Your host institution will provide you with further instructions closer to the registration date.

CCIS Study Abroad Programs

You will remain a matriculated Sacred Heart University student throughout your CCIS term abroad. You will not have to take a leave of absence or withdraw from SHU. You are responsible for registering at your host institution.

Non-SHU Affiliated Study Abroad Programs

You will have to take a leave of absence from SHU. You are responsible for registering at your host institution. Semester students that fail to comply with this procedure or that do not qualify for a leave of absence will be withdrawn from Sacred Heart University and will have to reapply for admissions via the normal process.

Registering for Courses for Your Return

Many semester students ask how to register for courses for the semester when they return to Sacred Heart. While you are abroad you will be able to register for next semester’s courses just like you always do, through Web Advisor.  Keep in mind, you will have to factor in the difference in your study abroad time zone and the SHU time zone— Eastern Standard Time.  A useful time zone calculator can be located here

For non-SHU students, you will need to contact your academic advisor at your home university for instructions on how to register for courses.