Every SHU School of Computer Science and Engineering student has the chance to gain valuable workplace experience with internships on campus or in the industry. Real-world internships help students integrate classroom study with professional experiences in the major.
The School of Computer Science and Engineering faculty maintain a strong network of industry contacts, providing plentiful opportunities for SHU students to gain valuable workplace experience. Most students choose to do an internship in their junior or senior year. Many of these positions lead to part-time or even full-time employment.
Students are offered on-campus internships in The Factory (SHU's computer support center) and the Network Operations Center. Students also work with area companies to place students in a variety of internships.
Companies our students typically intern with include:
- JP Morgan
- Mercedes Benz Credit
- Morgan Stanley
- Chase Bank
- People's Bank
- NBC Sports
- Sikorsky Aircraft
- Motor Vehicle Network
- 1st Premier Mortgage Company
- Daimler Chrysler Capital Services
- Pepperidge Farms
Students work directly with their faculty advisors to learn about and secure internships. Internship opportunities are made available in several ways:
- Companies often approach the university looking for interns. These opportunities are posted on the department’s online internship board.
- The SHU computer science faculty seek out internship opportunities matching students’ skills and interests.
- SHU provides a number of on-campus technology support internships.
- The Factory (Help Desk and Call Center)
- Horizons Webmaster