Roncalli Hall 257
5151 Park Avenue
Fairfield CT 06825
The increasing complexity, globalization, and influence of media and technology on sport business underscore the importance of specific and dynamic preparation for sport management professionals. The Sport Management curriculum in the John F. Welch College of Business emphasizes the unique management, business and legal principles and practices necessary to succeed in contemporary sport business. It ultimately prepares professionals who are self-directed in their learning, critical thinkers and problem-solvers, interdisciplinary in their approach, and capable of effectively managing sport enterprises and marketing sport-related services and products to diverse markets.
The Sport Management curriculum provides a theoretical and skill-based framework in core business disciplines, functional business skills and in specific sport management areas. Focus is on the financial, marketing, media, legal and ethical dimensions of sport management. The program provides students with dynamic internship opportunities.
Student Learning Objectives for Sport Management program:
- Understand the principles of management and their application to the sport enterprise and describe the nature of entrepreneurship as it applies to sport business.
- Understand the development of professional sport in the U.S. and the labor-management relationship in professional sport.
- Identify the key factors contributing to the globalization of sport including international sport federations, leagues, and corporations.
- Understand the nature and complexity of sport finance, especially related to the financing of sport venues.
- Understand the nature of sport marketing and the market forces affecting marketing strategies in the sport industry.
- Understand the process of ethical decision making and its application in sport business.
- Understand the basic legal principles related to sport business and recognize their application in sport management practice.
- Identify the important dimensions of media in the sport industry, including new media, ethics, crisis management, and publications.
Welch College of Business Among Princeton Review’s Best Business Schools
October 28, 2014
FAIRFIELD, Conn. – The Princeton Review has once again named Sacred Heart University’s John F. Welch College of Business (WCOB) one of the top schools in the nation. The education services company features the school in the new 2015 edition of its book, The Best 296 Business Schools (Random House/Princeton Review, $22.99).
Business Major Launches Sports Apparel Brand, Attracts Pro Athletes to Endorse Products
November 26, 2012
FAIRFIELD, Conn. – It’s one thing for someone to perform as a successful entrepreneur after graduating from business school, but quite another to achieve success while still an undergraduate student. But SHU junior Paul Guarino is one such success story. In the summer of 2011, Guarino, who is double-majoring in marketing and sport management, launched the PG Sports apparel brand, which early in its second year is exceeding sales expectations and is being worn by several national sports personalities.