Roncalli Hall 257
5151 Park Avenue
Fairfield CT 06825
The Marketing Department offers a:
- Major in Marketing
- Concentration in Digital Advertising - NEW!
- Minor in Fashion Marketing & Merchandising
- Concentration in Sport Marketing
The rapid growth of the global economy and the increasing influence of technology on marketing, especially in all aspects of advertising and consumer behavior, have driven the development of our marketing programs. The impact of the digital revolution and the migration to integrated, multi-platform marketing and social networking have required a refocus of the marketing major. Marketing professionals now need to have functional marketing skills based on a solid theoretical foundation aligned with the development of specialized skills in new areas such as digital marketing, e-tailing, relationship marketing, and new dimensions of market research (including digital metrics).
In addition to the WCOB core courses and the major courses, students have an opportunity to become involved in the student-run Marketing Club. The Marketing Club is aligned as a Collegiate Chapter of the American Marketing Association. As part of the Welch Experience, students also have the opportunity to attend timely presentations by key marketing and business professionals and to participate in extracurricular experiential learning opportunities. Internships are widely available and strongly encouraged.
The Marketing programs are delivered by very experienced, creative, and knowledgeable professors who are active not only in the classroom but also in marketing research, consulting, strategic planning and implementation.
In the Marketing program at SHU, you will:
- Understand the historic evolution of the marketing discipline and how marketing has contributed to the political, economic, and legal dimensions of the contemporary global business environment;
- Identify information needs critical to the practice of marketing management and gain access to relevant resources, evaluate and organize information sources, and integrate new information into the marketing decision-making process;
- Explain the significance of global markets and the application of the marketing processes to develop global marketing plans;
- Understand the impact and the opportunities offered by technology in business and develop effective technology related marketing management skills;
- Develop effective oral and written marketing communication skills and be self-directed, fair-minded, and capable of critical thinking and problem solving;
- Understand how to effectively and efficiently market services and products to clients and consumers worldwide;
- Understand the process of ethical decision making and its application in marketing management as well as contribute to enhancing the ethical standards and conduct of marketing professionals;
- Describe the complex nature of corporate ethics and the social responsibility of organizations in the conduct of marketing activities, as well as the personal responsibility to understand other cultures and negotiate different perspectives;
- Examine the benefits and consequences of marketing activities on the physical environment and on the lives of others; and
- Develop the skills necessary to assume multiple roles in a complex international business environment.
Goldman Sachs COO Cohn Speaks at New Finance Center Opening
May 6, 2015
FAIRFIELD, Conn. – On the heels of a visit from former General Electric Company Chairman & CEO Jack Welch and his wife, Suzy, Gary Cohn, the president and COO of investment banking and securities firm Goldman Sachs, stopped by for a “fireside chat” at Sacred Heart University, late Tuesday afternoon, April 28. Cohn’s visit coincided with the celebration of the opening of the new Finance Center, located in the University’s new Frank and Marisa Martire Business & Communications Center. More than 100 business students, faculty and SHU administrators gathered for the presentation.
Jack & Suzy Welch are Featured Speakers at New Home of Welch College of Business
April 22, 2015
FAIRFIELD, Conn. – Sacred Heart University celebrated the new home of the Jack Welch College of Business (WCOB) Monday with a visit from the college’s namesake and his wife, Jack and Suzy Welch. A reception and tours of the Frank and Marisa Martire Business and Communications Center preceded a public conversation between SHU President John J. Petillo, former General Electric CEO & Chairman Jack Welch, Jr., and Suzy Welch, former editor-in-chief of Harvard Business Review, in the building’s two-story atrium. John Chalykoff, dean of the WCOB, introduced the trio. The talk was followed by a signing session for the couple’s new book, The Real-Life MBA. Hundreds of people, including former N.Y. Mets Manager Bobby Valentine, who is SHU’s executive director of Athletics, attended.
SHU Celebrates Opening of Martire Business & Communications Center
March 20, 2015
FAIRFIELD, Conn. – Approximately 100 local dignitaries, trustees, special guests and friends, along with about 300 students, faculty and staff from the Sacred Heart University community, gathered on Saturday to celebrate the grand opening of the Frank and Marisa Martire Business & Communications Center on the corner of Park Avenue and Jefferson Street. The building will house the University’s prestigious John F. Welch College of Business (WCOB) and rapidly growing Department of Communications & Media Studies.