Roncalli Hall 257
5151 Park Avenue
Fairfield CT 06825
The finance program provides students with the knowledge and skills required to apply the tools and techniques of financial management in all types of organizations. The discipline focuses on financial management as it relates to the raising and investing of capital consistent with the stated goals of an organization. The program also covers topics related to personal investing from the perspectives of both the individual investor and the people entrusted to manage investment funds. Internships are widely available and strongly encouraged. Graduates have accepted positions at numerous corporations including General Electric, Citibank, JP Morgan Chase, Merrill Lynch, Morgan Stanley, Unilever, United Technologies and UBS.
The finance program will enable you to:
- Effectively begin your career as a finance professional
- Develop knowledge and problem solving capabilities in corporate finance, investments, financial markets, international finance and private wealth management
- Use quantitative methods to solve problems
- Effectively conduct research in finance
- Understand how the legal, regulatory and ethical environment affects business decision making
- Demonstrate effective written communication skills appropriate for a finance professional
- Effectively use technology for financial applications
- Demonstrate time management and deadline delivery skills
- Work effectively in teams
- Develop an awareness of the career opportunities available in the field of finance
New Interactive Problem-Solving Laboratory to Support Businesses and Community Growth
November 19, 2013
FAIRFIELD, Conn. – Sacred Heart University has announced plans to launch an interdisciplinary experiential learning program designed to expose students to business problems requiring real-time applied solutions. The program will target community organizations and businesses looking to address growth and marketing opportunities and to enhance or influence public perception, working in partnership to help create and implement innovative action plans. The University’s John F. Welch College of Business (WCOB) will launch the Problem-Based Learning (PBL) Lab, effective January 2014. They are now actively seeking corporate and community partners to submit potential projects for fall 2014 and beyond.
Czech Economic Guru Evžen Kočenda Visits SHU
March 25, 2013
FAIRFIELD, Conn. – On Wednesday evening, March 20, prominent Czech economist Professor Evžen Kočenda of Charles University’s Center for Economic Research and Graduate Education in Prague visited Sacred Heart University to present findings of a new markets study he had conducted. Kočenda was a guest speaker in a Global Financial Markets and Institutions class taught by Lucjan Orlowski, professor of Economics and International Finance and chairman of the Department of Economics and Finance in the John F. Welch College of Business at SHU. The presentation was attended by both students and faculty, who were excited to meet and hear from Kočenda.
Ralph Lim Takes Third Place in SCFAS Forecast Contest
February 13, 2013
Sacred Heart University Professor Ralph Lim was the third-place winner in this year’s Stamford CFA Society’s (SCFAS) Forecast contest. The winners were announced at the SCFAS Annual Forecast Dinner. Lim correctly predicted the ending levels of the 10-year U.S. Treasury bond yield, the S&P 500 index and the price of gold while competing against a number of financial experts.